Thread: Water coming in

Question Water coming in

I am new to this site, please forgive me if i ask a question thats already been asked.

However, I have a 2001 waverunner, 700XL. It seems to be leaking water, filling up the ski. I have played with it for hours Saturday, i think ive found where the water is coming from. Its coming in, around the seal where the shaft goes out of the hull. I guess this is the main shaft that turns the impellor. There is a large black ring around it, looks like is has holes in it like a balncer. That seal looks like it centers the shaft, maybe has a bearing, and seals water out. What is the proper name of this seal? How would i go about changing this seal? Will the leak get worse and worse? Could this damage the shaft or engine? Also, does anyone know the size(ID) of the hose that comes out the back of the hull and connects to the bilge spout in the jet? I assume the bilge setup works as a vacuum, the hose is all good except for the one that comes out the back, and connects to that small spout in the jet nozzle. Any input on my two problems ive just mentioned, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

+1
    it sounds like you are referring to the mid shaft and the midshaft bearing. If water is coming in through that bearing, it needs to be replaced. Hopefully the mid shaft and driveshaft with impeller have not been messed up. If you are going to work on it yourself, I found it very helpful to get a shop manual off of e-bay or other. You may have to slide the engine forwardto get at the midshaft and bearing. The mid shaft, the coupler, and bearing will come out as one piece, or at least it did on my 01 Yamaha xlt. Remove coupler with heat and impact wrench. Have bearing pressed off mid shaft. inspect midshaft for wear. grease and install midshaft bearing to manual specs. reinstall. good luck Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by lawyerboy View Post
    it sounds like you are referring to the mid shaft and the midshaft bearing. If water is coming in through that bearing, it needs to be replaced. Hopefully the mid shaft and driveshaft with impeller have not been messed up. If you are going to work on it yourself, I found it very helpful to get a shop manual off of e-bay or other. You may have to slide the engine forwardto get at the midshaft and bearing. The mid shaft, the coupler, and bearing will come out as one piece, or at least it did on my 01 Yamaha xlt. Remove coupler with heat and impact wrench. Have bearing pressed off mid shaft. inspect midshaft for wear. grease and install midshaft bearing to manual specs. reinstall. good luck Michael.
    Thanks for your help! I have an online shop manual, but im still very unsure about taking on this job. It sounds like its going to be a big task!! I just need to make darn sure thats where the water is coming from. Is that midshaft bearing a common cause of water leaking in? The bearing is bad , so the seals are gone, is that how the water comes in? The new bearing comes by itself, or a whole assy with the coupler and all? Im assuming i need to fully tear down the jet pump, take off the ride plate and intake grate? Is there a way to verify thats where the water is coming in? Sorry for all the questions, just kinda feel bad being i just got this ski. Thanks again

+1
    Why don't you try and post some pictures. If you put your hand down there and the midshaft is loose, you got a problem. You could probably back the jetski down into the water while still on the trailer and watch for where the water comes in. Yes a midshaft bearing going out will cause leaking around the midshaft. If the midshaft housing, itself, is in good shape, you can rebuild with new bearings, or for a bit more money you can buy a new midshaft bearing housing with new bearings already installed. I think I paid $127.00 for a wsm bearing housing with bearings installed. The coupler is completely separate and screws onto the midshaft. Once you press the midshaft out of the old bearing housing, inspect. If the midshaft has worn away rings/grooves and is not smooth, you may want to consider a new midshaft. If you are going to need a new midshaft, at that point you can take off the coupler. Even if you are not going to need a new mid shaft, I think I would remove the couple for purposes of pressing the midshaft into the new housing. michael

Quote Originally Posted by lawyerboy View Post
    Why don't you try and post some pictures. If you put your hand down there and the midshaft is loose, you got a problem. You could probably back the jetski down into the water while still on the trailer and watch for where the water comes in. Yes a midshaft bearing going out will cause leaking around the midshaft. If the midshaft housing, itself, is in good shape, you can rebuild with new bearings, or for a bit more money you can buy a new midshaft bearing housing with new bearings already installed. I think I paid $127.00 for a wsm bearing housing with bearings installed. The coupler is completely separate and screws onto the midshaft. Once you press the midshaft out of the old bearing housing, inspect. If the midshaft has worn away rings/grooves and is not smooth, you may want to consider a new midshaft. If you are going to need a new midshaft, at that point you can take off the coupler. Even if you are not going to need a new mid shaft, I think I would remove the couple for purposes of pressing the midshaft into the new housing. michael

Waverunner XL/GP 760/800/1200 Center MID Shaft Housing Intermediate PTO Coupler

The above is listed for sale on ebay. I cant put pictures while im on my phone. But when i get home i can. It says its in good shape, bearings good, no free play. With that, i shouldnt have to press out anything. Just get the old mid shaft, coupler, and bearing housing off, and put this one on, i think. I guess i would still have to unbolt the motor, to be able to pull the mid shaft out of the engine. But before that i would tear down the jet pump, and the impellor and the impellor shaft will just pull out of the mid shaft bearing housing? What bearings and seals will also need to be replaced, any on the impellor shaft? Im trying to get the right plan of action and i greatly appreciate your help. ! Thanks again lawyerboy. Ive already gained alot more insight on my issue. I will hopefully really make some progress this weekend. Been working alot, and i also have an 18 month old at home. But im gonna get it. Will try and post pictures when i can. I can also easily email them?

This thread scares me! I just left two skis in the water for a week for the first time ever and didn't think that they might leak!!! Arrrgh! Hope they're still floating when I get back there!

Its not a bad job replacing the midshaft bearing. I could see the water come through mine while sitting still in the water. I also noticed caviation problems.

+1
    Please be aware that when you buy stuff off of ebay, sight unseen, that you may get what you pay for. I would have a bit more confidence if the seller was a member here. The advantage to starting with fresh parts is that you can properly grease the shaft and midshaft bearing. Please consider buying the best parts you can afford, particularly if you plan on keeping the jet ski. You can find nice schematics with all parts on places like boats.net, or other websites that sell oem parts. In my case, I had to use an engine hoist to slide the engine forward and up, at which point you will see the rear coupler attached to the midshaft and bearing housing. the bearing housing is probably attached with three bolts to the hull of the jet ski. If you are going to pull out the jet pump, you might as well inspect the prop, the jet pump liner, and make sure the bearing in the pump turn freely. Refer to your shop manual to keep track of all parts, O-rings, etc.. Check for damage and consider replacing O-rings as you go along. good luck michael
    Waverunner XL/GP 760/800/1200 Center MID Shaft Housing Intermediate PTO Coupler

The above is listed for sale on ebay. I cant put pictures while im on my phone. But when i get home i can. It says its in good shape, bearings good, no free play. With that, i shouldnt have to press out anything. Just get the old mid shaft, coupler, and bearing housing off, and put this one on, i think. I guess i would still have to unbolt the motor, to be able to pull the mid shaft out of the engine. But before that i would tear down the jet pump, and the impellor and the impellor shaft will just pull out of the mid shaft bearing housing? What bearings and seals will also need to be replaced, any on the impellor shaft? Im trying to get the right plan of action and i greatly appreciate your help. ! Thanks again lawyerboy. Ive already gained alot more insight on my issue. I will hopefully really make some progress this weekend. Been working alot, and i also have an 18 month old at home. But im gonna get it. Will try and post pictures when i can. I can also easily email them?[/QUOTE]

Thread Information