Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

News: Tragedy Not Performance or Racing Oriented

This does not bode well for PWC in the State of Florida so I thought I'd post this and get your comments on how we can show our support to the family. Jetski Junkies are pretty upset about this but don't really know how to react or help. Any thoughts would be appreciated and shared. Our sport is at risk. Look at how the venues to hold our events are being cut back by municipalities influenced by uneducated electorate. Hydrodrags, AquaX, all of these are being hit by bad actors. Read and post your thoughts.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news...s_from_in.html

+1
    Thanks for sharing and excuse my ignorance but HOW do you not see a boat pulling a tube? I'm only on my third year of riding but am very aware of my surroundings and just stay away from other boats ESPECIALLY if they are towing... Very sad either way... IMHO PWC's are much safer and contollable than boats... but that's just me... cheers...

Very very sad & it is enraging. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated....

Banned User
    +1
    I don't know what to say. There are so many inconsiderate idiots on PWCs that give the rest of us a bad rap. At least to me, a crowded lake is not the place to be on a PWC. There is just too much that can go wrong. Thats why I ride Lake Michigan almost exclusively, and only go on the smaller inland lakes during weekdays, to avoid all of the boaters. If I didn't have that option, I probably wouldn't own a PWC.

There could be another side to the story here too. Many times people doing tow sports just weave all over the lake, giving no consideration whatsoever to anyone else using the lake. They drive around selfishly like there is nobody else out there. It seems I spend more time avoiding other traffic than enjoying my own ride when there is a lot of towing going on out on a lake.

+1
    Anybody that has 260 +1s is to be listened to.

Lake Seminole really isn't a busy lake. Matter of fact until recently it was ridiculously polluted. The places where we can ride and hold events are being shrunk...smaller and smaller. It is a state by state thing. Here in Florida you have a high density of people enjoying the water at risk (shark attacks a example) and as the population of PWC users grows relative to those that don't we need to figure out how we can reconcile these kinds of events or continue to lose places to ride and enjoy our sport.

Here in Florida getting permits for Hydrodrags was cancelled last minute. Same thing for AquaX in Marathon (although they are still trying to fix it with "fishermen".) That can and will happen anywhere in the country in time unless the PWC community stands up and backs responsible safe riding in some way and protects our rights. I don't know the answer to the last. Just know I'll be watching from my couch people riding PWC in faraway places in 10 years if we don't figure this out.

+1
    i gotta agree with bryans post.....theres defintely idiots on skis but ive seen quite a few in boats pulling people. Heck one time i was floating in the middle of the cove by myself. I noticed a boat prolly 150 yards out so i didnt think twice before i sparked up a cigarette and sat there and enjoyed the view/take a break. I look up and shit you not hes coming straight at me i had to crank it and floor it to move out his way. And he had practically the entire cove to manuever yet had to barrel straight at me. ive also seen a few assholes who just stare behind them at whoever they are towing while they just swing the boat all over the place.

but still a jetskier running into some girls being pulled in their tubes is a damn shame. Its always the few idiots that gotta go and ruin it for the rest of us.

im sorry to hear this.....

me and mike have been trying to set up some hydrodrags here in Dallas. Weve been talking to the cove i ride at for permission to host some races and we got a launch pad in the works. heck and its kinda centrally located also!

7. +1 by:

+1
    Thats my local lake I go to for testing. what a shame this happened. Ive seen alot of accidents happen there from misused PWC to just not knowing how to operate them. RIP

+1
    Vince, hopefully Billy -"83Gator" will chime in here shortly. He and a few other GH members have some experience fighting these kinds of things. May have some ideas organizing.
    Sorry to hear about the tragedy. Certainly preventable.

+1
    This is now the 2nd fla death that I am aware of involving skis. The other one was in Orlando and involved 2 skis that were spraying water on each other. .... Here is one story on it. http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/23...t-ski-accident

I am good friends with a FWC officer and as of Sunday afternoon this past weekend there were 14 central fla serious accidents involving PWC's and 8 involving boats. That was just what he was aware, and assured me that the true number is prob much higher.

It is a tragedy that this girl lost her life. I agree there is prob more to this story than we know about. Most of these accidents I hear about involve vessels that know each other and think careless actions(playing) is fun. There are risk in lots of recreational sports. And it sucks the sanctioned events are taking the hit for this. At least if you are racing u know the risk and are willingly putting your own life on the line. Although I have never been around the professional aspect of this sport, I would think that sanctioned events would get a little slack with all the safety protocols I assume is in place. You are risking your own life not the life of unknowing kids trying to have a good time.

All that being said I never go on the water on big holidays. Not with my ski's or boat. Not willing to risk myself or my loved ones for a day of fun on the water.

+1
    I teach my children "Don't be stupid. If it were against the law to be a moron, half the population would be serving time."
    Also, you may not ride a PWC solo until you've mastered complete control of it, making it's operation 2nd nature, with situation reactions an automatic reflex.
    That way you can "Keep your head on a swivel, focusing on what ALL the other boaters around you are doing."
    The personal watercraft is pound for pound the most powerful, most maneuverable, fastest reacting, and arguably the safest vessel on the water today.
    Sadly, too many people pay with their lives, suffer injuries, face criminal charges, property damage, loss of loved ones, etc., as a result of poor training, and/or bad judgement on the water. My condolences go out to the grieving families.
    When compared to other types of marine accidents, PWCs don't look that bad. It's unfortunate that our sport suffers excessive criticism but, that's today's society and culture. Us evangelicals get beat up for that too, along with gun owners, conservatives, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information