Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Riva Rear Exhaust

I am considering purchasing the Riva Rear Exhaust for my RXT and I have some questions for Install.

1) Can anybody post some pictures of the area inside the hull by the exhaust tip?

2) How did you drill the large hole in the hull and what size did you drill it? The direction from Riva say used a Rotozip or dremel with a maximum hole of 2 7/8" but the silicone couples are for 2 1/2",.

3) Who in the Austin area have done this before and are not afraid to do it to someone else ski?

i used a 2.5" hole saw and then a dremel for a really snug fit. my riva template was not even close to being accurate for the 4 outside holes. cut the big hole first and then dry fit the tip and mark the 4 smaller holes that way and then drill them. i used this tool aswell:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20540

it helps with the alignment. i just did this install last weekend and have no other use for the tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDR_1233.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	18629   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDR_1243.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	357.2 KB 
ID:	18630  

o yea, i just threw away that rubber gasket riva gives u and used permatex right stuff silicone. when u tighten the bolts down the gasket squeezes out from behind the tip and it looks bad.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl16 View Post
    o yea, i just threw away that rubber gasket riva gives u and used permatex right stuff silicone. when u tighten the bolts down the gasket squeezes out from behind the tip and it looks bad.
    yeah thats what the instructions said, i tightened mine and the gasket stayed just fine i had to stop tightning because i heard what sounded like cracking... i have the rubber gasket and plenty of right stuff on there, its shouldnt leak a bit

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl16 View Post
    i used a 2.5" hole saw and then a dremel for a really snug fit. my riva template was not even close to being accurate for the 4 outside holes. cut the big hole first and then dry fit the tip and mark the 4 smaller holes that way and then drill them. i used this tool aswell:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20540

it helps with the alignment. i just did this install last weekend and have no other use for the tool.
    Your pictures look like they are off a RXP, because I can't see the very back of hull unless I get into the hull, literally.

Looks like the getting the guide is must to get a square hole.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrich View Post
    Your pictures look like they are off a RXP, because I can't see the very back of hull unless I get into the hull, literally.

Looks like the getting the guide is must to get a square hole.
    yes, its an rxp. on the rxt u gotta get head first in the hull..lol..good luck. the tool is nice to have. i have it sitting here collecting dust.

I put thru hull exhaust on my RXT. I took the water box out to make more room to crawl into the hull. Its a long reach to the back. Leave the block offs, off on the left side. you need the holes to get in there to tighten up the clamps.

+1
    I know I am bringing this back from the dead, but it is the only thread I found relevant.

I just installed my rear exhaust and found this to be a pain in the ars. Everything went really well till I tried to clamp the tip in place with the 4 bolts. I put silicone on both sides of the gasket and tightened it down, then realized the gasket kept squeezing out even when I didnt tighten it too much. I hate that gasket, it is the devil! Maybe because I had silicone on it, it was slipery and when it oozed out it pushed the gasket out? I wonder if I should just remove the gasket and run a gasket sealant instead. Any one else have this issue? I think it will be ok, but I am pretty meticulous and want it done right and dont want water to seep into the hull.
    Last edited by Gus13letter; 05-13-2008 at 06:44 AM.

just drilled mine tonight, im actually leaning more to chucking the gasket and using silicone, i think it will seal better

+1
    no gasket, just use rightstuff or ultrablack.
    PR posted a very nice technique on how to do this. try to find it.
    in any case , dry fit everything seveal times to make sure everything will go together nice, even put screw in to make sure they will all line up and tighten. clean all surfaces before you assemble with acetone.
    put lots of sealant on the sealing side of the flange, make sure ot go around screw holes too, to get a good seal everywhere. slide it into place and lightly press against hull, turn it 1/4 turn each way to get good sealant adhesion.line up all four screws and thread them in with some blu loctite. evenly tighten the screws in a crossing pattern. you dont have to tighten the hell out of them, just nice and snug. wipe excess squeezed out selant away and clean area with windex.
    let it dry at least 24 hrs before you put the ski nthe water, preferably 48.
    its ok to continue to work on teh ski, just dont finish the install and go riding that evening.
    this is alot easier in a RXP, good luck in a RXT/GTX, i needed the neighbor, 6'4" 145 lbs, with gumby arms to help me get everything assembled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information