Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    rameseesk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Branson, Missouri
    Posts
    16

    2000 polaris virage 700 No spark

    I have no 9v at brown wire from cdi to stator.

    I Have unplugged Brown wire added 9v battery still no spark

    Virage has new Lr505 module But i bypassed anyway still no spark

    Can someone tell me what gives the Brown Wire from cdi 9v???????????

    I have done all the test for hall effect sensors. everything test good


  2. #2
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,599
    +1
    1,276
    When the CDI has power and detects that the engine is rotating, the CDI turns on the 8 volt DC feed to power the Hall Effect sensors in the magneto stator.

    Things that can cause the CDI to not produce the 8 volts on Brown (going from memory);
    • CDI has insufficient battery voltage on the Red/Purple power feed wire into the CDI
    • CDI has a poor or broken ground connection
    • CDI connections to stator are incorrect, broken
    • Stator coils are not connected to the CDI or the stator is damaged (coils grounded or open where they should not be)
    • CDI has internally failed
    Last edited by K447; 09-04-2013 at 01:08 PM.

  3. #3
    rameseesk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Branson, Missouri
    Posts
    16
    I have a new stator on the way, Had some water inside flywheel/stator housing.

    The Brown wire works as a ground, Going into stator or CDI Is that normal?

  4. #4
    rameseesk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Branson, Missouri
    Posts
    16
    How can motor detect when its rotating If Brown wire does not supply 9v to hall effect sensors?

  5. #5
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,599
    +1
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by rameseesk View Post
    I have a new stator on the way, Had some water inside flywheel/stator housing.

    The Brown wire works as a ground, Going into stator or CDI Is that normal?
    Quote Originally Posted by rameseesk View Post
    How can motor detect when its rotating If Brown wire does not supply 9v to hall effect sensors?
    Dunno what you mean by Brown wire 'acting as ground'

    The electrical box to stator 'ground' is a black wire in the cable bundle. At the actual stator the black wire is supposed to actually be grounded to the engine case through one of the stator mounting bolts. So zero ohms from the electrical box black terminals to the engine case itself.

    The Gen III (Update Kit and 2000 onwards) Hall Effect sensors have their own 'ground' via the gray wire from the stator. Power to the Hall Effect sensors goes to the stator on the Brown wire. The trigger signals from the Hall Effect sensors come back to the CDI on the colored wires; Red, Green, Blue

    The CDI gets the energy for firing the ignition coils from the stator's 'exciter' coil. When the engine is rotating the exciter coil is delivering a strong AC voltage to the CDI.

  6. #6
    rameseesk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Branson, Missouri
    Posts
    16
    I am going to double check resistance at stator. Sounds like stator 'mounting bolt' ground is weak.

    When I Check for power at other wires, using the Brown wire works as ground.

    Cant wait to fix problem and post fix.

  7. #7
    rameseesk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Branson, Missouri
    Posts
    16
    Ok resistance for ground was good.

    The purple wire coming from stator has rubbed through onto
    bracket holding wiring harness inside flywheel/stator housing. This was cauing purple wire to ground out.

    If purple wire is shorted to ground will this cause no spark?

    Will cdi not have 8v on brown wire if purple stator wire is shorted to ground?

  8. #8
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,599
    +1
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by rameseesk View Post
    ...

    The purple wire coming from stator has rubbed through onto
    bracket holding wiring harness inside flywheel/stator housing. This was cauing purple wire to ground out.

    If purple wire is shorted to ground will this cause no spark?

    Will cdi not have 8v on brown wire if purple stator wire is shorted to ground?
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    When the CDI has power and detects that the engine is rotating, the CDI turns on the 8 volt DC feed to power the Hall Effect sensors in the magneto stator.

    Things that can cause the CDI to not produce the 8 volts on Brown (going from memory);
    • CDI has insufficient battery voltage on the Red/Purple power feed wire into the CDI
    • CDI has a poor or broken ground connection
    • CDI connections to stator are incorrect, broken
    • Stator coils are not connected to the CDI or the stator is damaged.
    • CDI has internally failed
    Purple wire (not Red/Purple) is the exciter coil, which is what drives the CDI to power the actual ignition coil high voltage. Grounded exciter coil purple wire means no spark.

  9. #9
    rameseesk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Branson, Missouri
    Posts
    16
    Yes purple wire 'Exciter' Is shorted to ground.

    "Will this keep CDI 'Brown wire' from sending 8v to stator?"

    Thanks for your info its helps.

  10. #10
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,599
    +1
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by rameseesk View Post
    Yes purple wire 'Exciter' Is shorted to ground.

    "Will this keep CDI 'Brown wire' from sending 8v to stator?"

    ...
    Probably.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2000 polaris Virage 700 no spark
    By Cdbypd in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-05-2016, 02:06 PM
  2. 2000 polaris virage 700 No spark
    By rameseesk in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 02:56 PM
  3. 2000 Polaris Virage 700 weak spark
    By cameron in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-06-2013, 11:09 PM
  4. 2002 Polaris Virage 700 No Spark No Start
    By sltfan777 in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-30-2011, 08:14 PM
  5. polaris virage 700 no spark
    By itismejoshy in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-18-2009, 03:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •