Angry Polaris virage 700 problems

Hi I have a 2001 Polaris Virage 700. I took it out to the lake this year and it ran fine did 53mph worked amazingly. Then troubles started. It wouldnt want to start. It would take alot of cranking and lots of time. I checked the spark and there was none. It would only come sometimes. So I changed the sparkbox and I took it out again. First time started right up ran fine then when I shut off the engine it was hard to start again. When I finally got it started it ran fine again Then at one point it just slowed all the way to about 2mph and wouldnt go faster. I brought to shore and it died. Tired starting again and wouldnt start. Brought it back home and checked battery,all good. I changed spark plugs, still nothing. I took out the spark plugs and they were wet wet wet. So when I clean em it would start for maybe 1 second and die again. IF you throttle her right away it may run. Can anybody tell me whats the problem?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Check compression in each cylinder. All spark plugs out, throttle held wide open.

While the spark plugs are out, try turning the engine over by hand. You will need to remove the plastic cover from the drive shaft coupler behind the engine. When turning the engine by hand, listen and feel for grinding or grittiness, or large differences is turning resistance as it rotates. There will be some resistance from the pistons moving and the flywheel magnets..

A better test is to remove the jet pump and drive shaft. Inspect the jet pump for smooth bearing movement, no play and no grinding sounds.

The compressio is 170 psi in each cylinder. K447

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyojohann View Post
    The compressio is 170 psi in each cylinder. K447
    Either your compression gauge is out of calibration of that engine is not stock. 170 is a rather high number.

However, that both numbers are the same is a good thing. It means one cylinder has not been damaged or weakened compared to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... While the spark plugs are out, try turning the engine over by hand. You will need to remove the plastic cover from the drive shaft coupler behind the engine. When turning the engine by hand, listen and feel for grinding or grittiness, or large differences is turning resistance as it rotates. There will be some resistance from the pistons moving and the flywheel magnets..

A better test is to remove the jet pump and drive shaft. Inspect the jet pump for smooth bearing movement, no play and no grinding sounds.

I opened up the cylinders and there is water in them. you know why this could be K447 ?

+1
    If you have water getting into the cylinders you either have a leaking exhaust gasket or a leaking head gasket (o-ring) on the domestic engines which is what you have. Do you see any water leaks on the exhaust manifold or pipe? Any water coming into the hull?

I, opened up the exhaust manifold and there is some oil in it. I checked it to see if it leaked and it didnt. Is there supposed to be water inside my silencer and exhaust pipe?

I'm sorry the comprssion was 140psi.

+1
    I would expect to see a little bit of oil in the exhaust manifold especially if the last time the ski was run it wasn't running 100%.

The exhaust uses water injection to keep temperatures in check and for performance reasons. You would likely have some water in the waterbox (silenencer) and in the bottom of the pipe.

How exactly did you check to see if it leaked?

Thread Information