will improper timing cause engine to not start 750 SLT

Hello fellow PWC lovers. first post as a new member.

my 1995 polaris SLT 750 (fuji) had a ground melt down to the stator ( improper cover over battery caused this). I changed the stator and CDI and the engine will not start. I have spark and fuel but it will not fire up. the stator i purchased did not have any marks on it as stated in other posts so i have nothing to line up with. Going to use a dial indicator and set it the timing that way. just wondering if I have to much timing or not enough timing will that cause the engine to not fire. Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Are you sure the flywheel was properly indexed on the woodruff key?

Yes very sure the flywheel is indexed properly. Will pull it off tonight and make sure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by youngone View Post
    Hello fellow PWC lovers. first post as a new member.

my 1995 polaris SLT 750 (fuji) had a ground melt down to the stator ( improper cover over battery caused this). I changed the stator and CDI and the engine will not start. I have spark and fuel but it will not fire up. the stator i purchased did not have any marks on it as stated in other posts so i have nothing to line up with. Going to use a dial indicator and set it the timing that way. just wondering if I have to much timing or not enough timing will that cause the engine to not fire. Thanks
    Perhaps you can use this photo of a timing mark on the stator to try and align then fine tune the timing from there:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130323_155203.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	312543

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the replacement CDI from?

Thanks for the pic, this will help a lot. I bought the CDI from Marto motor sports. They sold me a good used one or so they say. It did not work so I took the CDI from my sons Polaris to just try get mine running. Going to order a new one from jet ski plus.

Well pulled the flywheel off (not so easy when the motor is in the hull). Timing was way off. Set it to the same as the picture and made sure the flywheel was indexed to the key properly. Now have to borrow my sons CDI again to see if it will run. Thank you gentlemen for the assistance.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well pulled the flywheel off (not so easy when the motor is in the hull). Timing was way off. Set it to the same as the picture and made sure the flywheel was indexed to the key properly. Now have to borrow my sons CDI again to see if it will run. Thank you gentlemen for the assistance.
    How far 'off' ?

+1
    Thanks for the pic, this will help a lot. I bought the CDI from Marto motor sports. They sold me a good used one or so they say. It did not work so I took the CDI from my sons Polaris to just try get mine running. Going to order a new one from jet ski plus.
    Check both of yours first, and on your son's ski for that matter. Know for sure that they work. There was a previous post where a new aftermarket stator was acting up too......

Tried the old CID and the new one and not one worked on my sons engine. Got another CDI from jet ski parts and I have spark and at times it will fire but not run. Timing picture helped I was all the way to the end of the slot before and now I am close to the centre of the slot, engine fired a few times but still won't just fire up and run. Back fired through the carbs and scared my wife. Not sure what to test now, even if out of time some it should run?

Was this your ski and it was running well before the meltdown?

Thread Information