Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help. Carbon Seal Leak

Hey guys. At the start of the season I upgraded my impeller and wear ring. Shortly after putting it back together it started taking on water at the driveshaft seal. I ordered a new bellows, carbon ring, and o-rings for the steel ring. Its still leaking. It seems it seals up after you ride it for a little bit but when you shut it off and float for a while it starts leaking. It cavitates like crazy for a while too until you toss it around for a while. I've been fighting it pretty much all season and am fed up with it. Should I have replaced the steel ring also? Any input is appreciated. Thanks, Chris

+1
    What impeller did you install? If its solas, did you use the green nose cone or the stock rubber one? If you used the solas, take it off and put the stock one back on.

Yeah it's a Solas. I'm still learning these things. It might be a stupid question but how would that affect the leak at the carbon ring? Also I read somewhere on here that one guy took his shaft to a machine shop and had them cut a groove for the c-clip closer to the carbon ring to tighten it up against the bellows. Is this a good idea?

+1
    Pump and engine not aligned might be the issue

+1
    I have a brand new one just in case u need it..carbon seal

Thanks bud. I might take you up on that. I'm about ready to tear it back apart and replace everything again including the steel collar.

Make sure your carbon seal is installed correctly. I've heard of a guy installing it backwards by accident and had a leak or cavitation or something. Replace the C-clip with a NEW one.

Yeah it's in there right. I'll have to order that c-clip so would it be smart to order the steel collar also so everything's new?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by clements77 View Post
    Yeah it's a Solas. I'm still learning these things. It might be a stupid question but how would that affect the leak at the carbon ring? Also I read somewhere on here that one guy took his shaft to a machine shop and had them cut a groove for the c-clip closer to the carbon ring to tighten it up against the bellows. Is this a good idea?

The green nose cone pushes the shaft forward, take it off and try, I bet you will be all good!

Quote Originally Posted by clements77 View Post
    Yeah it's in there right. I'll have to order that c-clip so would it be smart to order the steel collar also so everything's new?
    In all honesty, the floating ring (the "hat") that you're talking about is pretty much the only thing you don't *need* to replace unless it has some obvious physical damage - which is usually not likely except for maybe corrosion from salt water riding.

As far as your question - "while you're in there" kinda thing: Well, you said you already ordered some new parts recently....but when yanking it all out for whatever reasons (now and future), you need to be prepared to replace the rubber "bumper" on the front of the driveshaft since it likes to tear out each time you pull the driveshaft out. Be sure to remove the broken piece caught in the PTO boot. Basically, order a few bumpers and C-clips to have on stand-by. Some guys even install 2 C-clips to use at once under the floating ring. That's a cool idea, although I haven't gotten around to that yet. You'll know when you need to replace C-clips....they develop wear edges on them (same with driveshaft groove).

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information