+1

1997 SPX wont start

I have customers seadoo here and as I don't know much about their encoded key/lanyards maybe you guys can help. When you plug the lanyard in nothing happens, occasionally you will get one solid beep when hitting the start button. The start button is good and the obvious things such as battery etc are good. I am leaning towards the computer box inside the electronics box. If that is the problem I am looking for one and how does that effect the existing lanyard. Or could it be the lanyard and plug on the dash itself? thanks

+1
    Know any history on the ski? If it has been jump started (with a car running) the mpem is definitely toast. Before i would commit to the mpem being bad for sure i would check all the ground cables, and fuses... but the DESS posts rarely fail, and rarely fail all at once, they will become unreliable before they quit completely.

+1
    I'm afraid I don't know the history and as it is owned by some people who bought it for their grand kids to use im sure they don't know what its been through either. I guess what I am going to be looking for is a used mpem then, any help finding one would be great. I will post a WTB too. thanks

+1
    The audible beeps should tell you what's going on. I know I have seen examples of different patterns. Obviously you should get a short beep beep if its good to start when plugging in the lanyard key. But u can also push (without the key plugged in) the start button five times. It should give you an audible diag of what issue the seadoo has. Mine had all sorts of metal shavings because its a magnet that interfered and my beeper was not working. If you are not getting a audible beep it's any easy fix man. 7.50$ part at radio shack. I have another thread if that's the problem. An occasional beep problem I would clean the key lanyard and the dess post. Probably just the beeper working when it wants to.

+1
    Crap. After reading your first post again obviously you are much more knowledgeable then I am. Hope I don't step on your toes. Just trying to help. I know the mpem(computer) and dess lanyard have to be programmed together if that's the issue(doubt it). And can only be programmed at a seadoo dealer.....I hate being a newbe to this crap but hit the start button 5 times. If it doesn't chirp at you and give you some tones then fix the beeper and it should be easy. I hope I've helped man.

Thread Information