Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

92 650 sl pump housing question

We got our old 92 sl running last year with an engine from sbt. Not knowing too much the speed has been lacking. Back in august I pulled the pump apart and found the stator viens have been beat up. Polaris doesnt offer new ones as the item is discontinued. Went looking on ebay and found a new impeller housing on ebay but didn't notice that it was missing the shoe ring (not sure but I think that is what it is called) Any ideas on if polaris made just the ring? On their parts diagram it listed the pump housing and showed the ring on it. If anybody has an idea on how to get this specific part from polaris let me know.

Other than a new part I think my options are to 1. fix the old pump housing (stator viens are really bad) or 2. go to a fabrication shop and see if they can mill me a ring.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3848.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	312581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3847.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	312583

Thanks for any assistance.
    Scott

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The 1992 and 1993 models use what we call the non-modular 146mm jet pump.

From 1994-2004 Polaris used the modular 148mm jet pump.

Happily, the modular jet pump cab be retrofitted onto the older hulls. Find a jet pump from a 1994-1995 SL650 and you will be able to upgrade your jet pump.

The modular jet pump is often considered a more efficient design, and is typically easier to service since the parts (other than the actual 650 impeller) are interchangeable across so many models.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    any 94 and up pump will work just make sure you get a impeller for a 650 and a steering nozzle for a non-trim machine. if you end up with an extended pump (which has a 4 inch extension) it will work also you will need to make a 4 inch steering extension. whatever you get we can make it work. try a search many have upgraded. new style is faster, extended even faster.

Thanks for the responses. I'm taking both pumps to a machine shop today to find out if they can salvage this situation as well as going to polaris shop tomorrow. If its a bust I will start my search for the 1994 system. I would prefer to get these pumps working as we bought a number of parts for this set up. I am also going to email impros in CA to see if they can fix the old one. I think my hope of having it on the water in september is a bust so this will most likely become a winter project. Dock and boat come out next week.

+1
    Use the classifieds on here or contact John Zigler on here. I'm sure you can get a used 94 setup. You're wasting your time and money on that other pump. If its gonna be a winter project you might as well do it right.

+1
    If you can use these pumps to make a good one for very little money, do it, while the 94 & up pumps are more efficient you will see very little difference on a 92 650.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    If you can use these pumps to make a good one for very little money, do it, while the 94 & up pumps are more efficient you will see very little difference on a 92 650.

Parts are available for the newer pump. He's talking about fixing a pile of junk or having a machine shop make him a wear ring. Unless he owns a machine shop and can do it for free. Its a waste of time and money.

+1
    try posting in the classifieds, I'm sure someone would give you one of these old pumps for the price of shipping just to get rid of it. If I had one it would be all yours.

Once again thanks for the replies. I had a part made and the pump is back together. I'm not sure how to delete this post or if the mods want to lock it thats fine with me. Thanks for the quick responses.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    No need for deletion. Perhaps someone else with a similar question or situation will read it later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information