Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

How bad is this damage??

Bought my first ski, a 2002 Seadoo GTX 4-Tec Limited. Unforuntately the previous owner tied it up to a pier and it got hung under a cleat and tore up some of the paint on the ski. Fiberglass is fine, but i'm curious if anyone can tell me how bad this is? Also, any idea how much it'd be to have it repaired? And is the ski "safe" to ride with the paint in this shape?
    Here's some pics, thanks in advance

Welcome to the Hulk! Unfortunately, that is not an easy or cheap repair. The main problem is that you will not be able to get a good match with the original gel coat. If if were my ski, I would spot fix it with the original gel coat (from Gelcote Intl, the original supplier to Sea Doo), and not worry about the fact that the color and metallic sparkle didn't match. But I know how to do it and wouldn't pay for it, so my cost would just be the materials, and it would take a quart mix at about $100. The right way to do it would be to fix the gel and level it, then spray the entire top deck with gel so that the color match wouldn't be an issue. That is a major project materials and time-wise. Others might chime in and suggest filling the damaged area and topcoating with urethane paint. I don't like paint on a ski, dings too easily.

Oh, and to answer your question, it is perfectly fine to run it as is. That is not a structural issue and won't leak water or start tearing off more in normal use.

Id dill the hole and put a really cool sticker over it. Like a big dragon, better yet TWO DRAGONS!!! Youll never knew it was there, and you skil will gain at least 3-5 mph.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk! Unfortunately, that is not an easy or cheap repair. The main problem is that you will not be able to get a good match with the original gel coat. If if were my ski, I would spot fix it with the original gel coat (from Gelcote Intl, the original supplier to Sea Doo), and not worry about the fact that the color and metallic sparkle didn't match. But I know how to do it and wouldn't pay for it, so my cost would just be the materials, and it would take a quart mix at about $100. The right way to do it would be to fix the gel and level it, then spray the entire top deck with gel so that the color match wouldn't be an issue. That is a major project materials and time-wise. Others might chime in and suggest filling the damaged area and topcoating with urethane paint. I don't like paint on a ski, dings too easily.

Oh, and to answer your question, it is perfectly fine to run it as is. That is not a structural issue and won't leak water or start tearing off more in normal use.
    Thanks so much for the quick reply!! I am not TOO worried about it if i can't match it up 100% perfectly...like Tony said, i'd be fine putting a few stickers or something over the area when it's filled. I am REALLY glad that it is ok to still use the ski...I was worried that I just bought something that i couldn't ride! I am trying to find a repair shop in my area to get a quote to fix it but that hasn't been very easy so far. The guy who sold me the ski gave me Marine Tek to fill the hole...is that the correct thing to use? Also, i see that you said to go to Gelcote for the gel...i did check their site earlier for my 02 and did not see a color on there for it, any advice? Im not really sure the exact color name, but i'm assuming its something like tan, bronze, or brown for the area i need on the limited model.

+1
    It doesn't look too bad. Maybe carbon fibre wrap on the top.

+1
    I would fill it with some gel coat and sticker that pig...

It's a 11-12 yr old ski...

Ride that bitch and quit sweating the small stuff..

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    I would fill it with some gel coat and sticker that pig...

It's a 11-12 yr old ski...

Ride that bitch and quit sweating the small stuff..
    Certainly not sweating the small stuff...I said a few posts back that I am fine with stickering it...I just know nothing about repairing the damage and don't want it to get worse. I have Marine Tek...will that work? Any prep needed?

+1
    Yes marine tek will do the job.
    You have plenty of fibers for it to adhere to so nothing needed for prep.
    Just let it dry good and get a cool sticker..

Cool stickers make your ski go faster by Atleast 2-3 mph..

^ yeah but a double dragon will get him at least 5mph, cant argue with those numbers.

11. +1 by:

Is the spot soft at all?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information