+1

Anyone tried placing a Garmin 78 in the glovebox spot for the 76?

I was wondering if anyone with the GTX Limited glovebox with the mounting location for the Garmin GPSMAP 76 has tried placing a GPSMAP 78 in that spot?

I'm asking because my new-to-me GTX Limited didn't come with the GPS, and I can buy a brand new 78S from an authorized Garmin dealer for about the same price as a used (and discontinued) 76CSx on eBay, and I'd rather have a brand new unit with warranty, and with a newer cpu, newer software, newer GPS engine, more capacity, and faster USB connection.

The dimensions are close:

76 WxHxD 2.7 x 6.2 x 1.2"
    78 WxHxD 2.6 x 6.0 x 1.2"

So the 78 is slightly narrower and shorter. The depth is identical. So it "should" physically fit in the hole, and the glovebox "latch" should work. I am thinking that if the slight difference in dimensions is an issue, I can always add material to the glovebox sides to make it fit snugly. Unless there's some "gotcha" that I missed.

Banned User
    +1
    No, it won't fit.
    I just ordered the 78(the S just adds a 3 axis compass and a barometer-both useless too me). I'll be using this mount;https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-ga...149-ga40u.html
    That will be on my 2013 GTX Limited iS.

+1
    Are you able to tell me "why" it won't fit, ie. there's something sticking out or something?

I'm trying to avoid having to use an external mount.

+1
    +1 - It won't fit. I purchased a 78 for a buddy out of state. Before I shipped it to him, I tried to if would fit on my glove box lid as well. I have the 76, but was wondering "what if" should I upgrade to the 78. It does not fit, kind of close, but not perfect and it has to be perfect. I suggest not forcing the issue by modifying it.

On a side note, looking back, I would go w/a RAM or other type mount as "iflyems" mentioned. In my opinion, even though I'm quite used to it, the glove box lid is a more dangerous setup than a handle bar mount. Unless your a chameleon, you have to take both eyes off the water and look down to read your GPS. The handle bar mount, although not as "pretty" keeps your eyes forward in the direction of travel. Just my 2, but good luck w/your setup.

+1
    Ah, okay, well darn then. Good point about it being inconvenient to look at; I didn't think of that. Lol at the chameleon reference; I had an elementary teacher who could do that.

I have a Garmin Rino 530HCx for my SxS, and I have it mounted on the roll-cage A-pillar above the steering wheel via a RAM mount, just so I can see it easily, so I totally get not having to look down.

I think I'm going to pick up a 78S anyways and RAM mount it, because it's the only current Garmin model that floats. I am partial to Garmin because it's quite easy to install/upgrade the maps.

The 78S has USB 2.0 while the 78 only has USB 1.0. It also has the ability to add custom POI's, and has wireless data sharing.

Thanks guys!

Thread Information