1999 GP 800 has spark but won't start.

Hello all new here and pretty knowledgeable about waverunners for the most part. I have a deal which I can get a rebuilt 99 GP 800 with 30hrs on it for $600.00 on a trailer which was running this year when I don't know. The owner stated that it wouldn't start, cranked over with spark. He had replaced the plugs/starter still just cranked over, and over but nothing. So I was going to go look at it this weekend and check for compression on both cylinders and take it from there. For 600 bucks I feel I couldn't go wrong unless it has a bad crank in it I don't know. I'm thinking a coil or a reflector. Any tips? the ski is very clean and taking care of but I really don't want it to money pit me. I was going to give it to the wife and sell here 97 GTX 787 which is clean as well so I can get some money back, bluh bluh. Thanks.

+1
    If it has spark, and turns over fine, then its unlikely that its a bad crank/stator/electrical. Rule of thumb is Compression, Spark, Fuel... if u have solid compression on all 3 then it is most likely Bad or lack of Fuel... try jump starting it with Either (starting fluid) but its the last resort.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    my guess is that the flywheel key has sheared and the engine is so far out of time it won't even cough. try switchin gthe plug wires to see if you can get anything. I wouldn't sell a 97 gtx..that's a nice ride.

good deal on the yam..as the trailer is worth a solid $300 every day..so you can't go wrong..even if you part it out you'll make a couple of bucks

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    my guess is that the flywheel key has sheared and the engine is so far out of time it won't even cough.
    How often does that kind of thing happen? Is there something that causes it to shear in the first place (backfire?) Can you use a timing light to check that while cranking?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    an in experienced tech will often try to reuse a flywheel key. A backfire could shear it off..using starter fluid is NOT suggested. dribble a teaspoon of fuel down each jug and see if it fires. could be bad reeds too.

switch the plug leads and see if you get anything. before you waste a whole lot of time. who rebuilt the engine, and who installed it?

Thanks guys. I'll try a teaspoon of gas down the jugs and check all fuel lines as well. Could it possibly be a reflector? I don't know. As far as the plug wires go I'll check them as well. Huh makes me wounder, thinking out loud. ... It's a beautiful ski I really hate to pass it up for the money. The wife isn't to happy about getting it, but a man gotta do what a man gotta do. The 97 GTX I'm keeping for a while. Well if there's any other thoughts out let me know. Thanks again to all.

Well it turns out the compression was at 74 74 on both cylinders as well as water in the blocked so I passed.

Thread Information