Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Help! Replacing Steering Support on my ski

Hey guys, i just got a new to me 02 GTX 4-Tec and in addition to my other thread talking about the damage that i need to repair, it also needs a new "steering support" because it is cracked. Part number is 277001471. I took everything apart the other night to get the support out but i could not figure out how to seperate the steering cable and steering colum...am i looking into this too far and making it harder than it should be? Can anyone give me any pointers or tips? I really can't afford to take it to a shop and am pretty confident that i can get it done. The new part will be at my house today and i'd love to have it fixed before this weekend.

The part is #63 in this diagram http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oem-p...teering-system

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by TacomaGuy24; 09-05-2013 at 12:40 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaGuy24 View Post
    Hey guys, i just got a new to me 02 GTX 4-Tec and in addition to my other thread talking about the damage that i need to repair, it also needs a new "steering support" because it is cracked. Part number is 277001471. I took everything apart the other night to get the support out but i could not figure out how to seperate the steering cable. Can anyone give me any pointers or tips? I really can't afford to take it to a shop and am pretty confident that i can get it done. The new part will be at my house today and i'd love to have it fixed before this weekend.

The part is #63 in this diagram http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oem-p...teering-system

Thanks in advance
    To remove the cable from the support you need to turn the steering to full lock to the left as if your sitting on the ski. If you follow the steering cable upwards to the support.....at the end of the cable you will see a bolt head going through the plastic support. You need to remove this bolt first (part no 42 on the diagram that you posted), that releases the cable end from the support.
    You then need to remove both bolts numbered 58 on the diagram...this lets you remove the cable itself with it`s adjuster.
    Watch you dont drop any of the nuts or washers though as their guaranteed to go under the fuel tank.

+1
    WOW, thank you!!! I will try this tonight or tomorrow. Will i have to realign the steering or anything when i put it back together?

+1
    be careful loosening that steering arm bolt, it stripped on mine,and made replacing the cable a big pia!

+1
    Im assuming i have to wiggle myself through the hole in the storage compartment to get to these bolts?

+1
    WOW, thank you!!! I will try this tonight or tomorrow. Will i have to realign the steering or anything when i put it back together?
    Try not to turn the plastic adjuster too much and you shouldn`t have any problems. Once you get it all back together...and if your steering is off slightly, i would adjust it at the nozzle end as you can adjust it there as well....it`s a hell of a lot easier than trying to adjust it at the support assembly.

+1
    Im assuming i have to wiggle myself through the hole in the storage compartment to get to these bolts?
    Since your going to be replacing the support assembly anyway....try removing the nuts and washers on top of the support (Parts 72 and 73) and see if you can lift up the whole steering assembly to get at the top steering cable bolt.
    It should lift up through the hole taking the whole assembly with it if i recall. Certainly enough to get the top bolt. Im trying to remember exactly what we did when i replaced a steering cable on the wife`s ski a couple of years ago.
    You may have to pry the support a little to get it up as ours was stuck to the hull with some sticky foam backed tape...which obviously makes a water tight seal.
    It`s a pita to do through the storage compartment i know...not easy to work around these with all this plastic in them.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by heckie View Post
    Since your going to be replacing the support assembly anyway....try removing the nuts and washers on top of the support (Parts 72 and 73) and see if you can lift up the whole steering assembly to get at the top steering cable bolt.
    It should lift up through the hole taking the whole assembly with it if i recall. Certainly enough to get the top bolt. Im trying to remember exactly what we did when i replaced a steering cable on the wife`s ski a couple of years ago.
    You may have to pry the support a little to get it up as ours was stuck to the hull with some sticky foam backed tape...which obviously makes a water tight seal.
    It`s a pita to do through the storage compartment i know...not easy to work around these with all this plastic in them.
    I got to this point the other night, i was able to wiggle the entire support with the cable still attached so im confident i can pull it up to get to the nut as long as that isn't a bad thing to do. I was just worried about breaking something, but you guys have made me confident! I called 3 shops today thinking they wouldn't charge much to fix this for me, each shop wanted over $400!!! All the tips are appreciated

+1
    i assume you removed the glovebox already?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybat View Post
    i assume you removed the glovebox already?
    i didn't see a need to remove it when i was looking at it....what am i missing there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information