Has anyone ever tried to repair their own EMM?

Hi I have a 2001 Kawasaki Stx Di and the EMM has a bad injector driver on it. I can't get it to start unless I unplug the 3rd injector, then it starts and runs like crap on 2 cylinders. I tried taking the injector #2 harness and plugging it into the 3rd injector to rule out the injector itself being the issue and it still started and ran on 2 cylinders. So basically I figure my injector #3 driver is bad. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to replace the injector driver themselves. I'm pretty good with soldering circuit boards and I know I am capable of soldering it, but will it work? I'm wondering if the driver itself holds the programming info for that specific injector. I don't mind having it reprogrammed by a dealer after if necessary, I'm just not sure if it's that simple. I have no intentions on replacing the emm or paying to have it rebuilt, I'd just as soon sell the ski as-is so I don't really care if there's a chance of ruining it. Anyone ever tried this themselves?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    somebody recently depotted and repaired a ficth emm. I had a DI here two years ago with that exact problem. The soldering is tricky..it's a multi layer board with giant heat sinks.

I recall on my repair it was one of the diodes..the programming is held in the epprom of the emm..you can replace the driver without needing to reprogram.

You'll get little money for a ski that needs a $700 emm repair..you'll make more parting it out.

+1
    I would advise against doing yourself, unless you are trained in this type of repair. If you screw it up, you will be forced to buy an new EMM. Do you have the diag software? If not, let me know I have the software and info how to make the cable. If you can do the repair, there is no need to get it programmed. The software have the info, not the hardware. Where is the ski located, and how much do you want for it?

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    somebody recently depotted and repaired a ficth emm. I had a DI here two years ago with that exact problem. The soldering is tricky..it's a multi layer board with giant heat sinks.

I recall on my repair it was one of the diodes..the programming is held in the epprom of the emm..you can replace the driver without needing to reprogram.

You'll get little money for a ski that needs a $700 emm repair..you'll make more parting it out.
    I was hoping there was an eeprom chip that held the programming. I'm going to try it. Worst case scenario
    it doesn't work. It already doesn't start so I figure I really can't make it any worse. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keithg1964 View Post
    I would advise against doing yourself, unless you are trained in this type of repair. If you screw it up, you will be forced to buy an new EMM. Do you have the diag software? If not, let me know I have the software and info how to make the cable. If you can do the repair, there is no need to get it programmed. The software have the info, not the hardware. Where is the ski located, and how much do you want for it?
    I do not have the diagnostic software or a cable. I'm going to try it. It's already dead I figure I can't really make it any worse. It's a pisser because the ski only has 70 hours on it. I did tv repair for a number of years and I've soldered numerous pcb boards on lcd and plasma tv's so I have the tools and the ability to solder. Someone posted a breakdown diagram on the EMM online and fortunately the injector drivers are the biggest things on the board so they're the easiest to solder. The ski is in Massachusetts.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    at worst you'll snooker the emm, which means dfi will not be able to repair it. Home repair is possible, but you'll need a pretty good soldering rig. I've replaced some bits on a few lcd TV's and monitors, but the emm board is another issue...

Thread Information