Drive Shaft/Splines Problem

Hey all,

Have an issue with a friends ski, he took it out a few days ago and had
    something get stuck where the pump/impeller is, said he lost propulsion
    but engine was still running and had it towed back to the marina. (I was not with him)
    I pulled the pump out for him that night but there was no debris stuck anywhere
    but noticed that the impeller was fine but the splines were gone on the drive shaft.
    So my question is how big of a job is removing the drive shaft? does the
    motor need to come out or can it stay in.
    I've taken most things apart on my ski and his but have not played
    around with the engine or drive shaft yet.
    His ski is a 2008 RXT with 68 hrs.

Thanks.

+1
    If it has C clip design it is not so hard. You have to remove the C clip from the shaft / it is under stainless hat against your carbon ring/. In order to do that you have to slide the hat toward the rear of the boat compressing the bellows and once you see the clip take it off. Slide the hat toward the engine and pull the shaft, slow and easy. It will be good idea to jave someone to help. It will come off. First time there is not much fun involved but second time I did it all by muself in less than
    5 mins.

+1
    When you
    Bring it together you MUST install NEW C clip and new rubber bumper at the engine end of the shaft. It is good idea to change the bellows and carbon ring since it is apart.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGunMan View Post
    If it has C clip design it is not so hard. You have to remove the C clip from the shaft / it is under stainless hat against your carbon ring/. In order to do that you have to slide the hat toward the rear of the boat compressing the bellows and once you see the clip take it off. Slide the hat toward the engine and pull the shaft, slow and easy. It will be good idea to jave someone to help. It will come off. First time there is not much fun involved but second time I did it all by muself in less than
    5 mins.
    +1. It easier to do this with the pump still on as it keeps the driveshaft held forward....making it easier to slide the hat back. Some guys put a socket in between the end of the driveshaft and impeller before installing the pump again, as this takes up any slack in the shaft moving back and forth. Dont overtighten the pump doing this though...just nip it up until the driveshaft cannot move....then you can push the hat backwards to expose the c-clip.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by heckie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGunMan View Post
    5 mins.
    +1. It easier to do this with the pump still on as it keeps the driveshaft held forward....making it easier to slide the hat back. Some guys put a socket in between the end of the driveshaft and impeller before installing the pump again, as this takes up any slack in the shaft moving back and forth. Dont overtighten the pump doing this though...just nip it up until the driveshaft cannot move....then you can push the hat backwards to expose the c-clip.
    I totaly forgot about this part

+1
    Take the time to pull the supercharger it gives you a lot more room to work down low in the hull.

Thread Information