Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris 1200 engine weight

How much does the whole engine weigh minus the exhaust

+1
    I cant say exactly, but I can tell you that the cases with crank, cylinders, and heads weigh about 95-100lbs when I ship them. That's no exhaust manifold, no intake manifold, no flywheel or stator covers, no drive coupler. Roughly speaking of course.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Define whole engine. With flywheel and stator, cover? With intake manifold and carburetors?

Well I'm looking at buying a 1200 for my slxh 1050. Trying to find the best way for him to ship it to me. I know UPS has a weight limit of 150lbs. So thought about having him split parts of it up. Call another guy today and he said my updated CDI from my 1050 wont work on the 1200 motor and if I try to use it the motor will blow. So...until that gets cleared up I guess this engine swap thing is going to be put on hold. I'm not spending $500-$600 on a stator that retailed for $350 new from a Polaris dealer. I'm about to give up on the Polaris and get into something that still has parts available.

+1
    if you have a updated 447 cdi it will work fine on a 1200 motor

No re-programming necessary? It is the updated CDI. I bought it from a Polaris dealer here in Tulsa about 3 years ago when the stock one took a shit. It has the original part number crossed through and 447 in white marker underneath it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sschoeffler View Post
    Well I'm looking at buying a 1200 for my slxh 1050. Trying to find the best way for him to ship it to me.

I know UPS has a weight limit of 150lbs. So thought about having him split parts of it up...
    Well, SBT ships complete rebuilt Polaris engines every day. Just the engine center core, from cylinder heads down to the crankcase, but no manifolds, starter motor or flywheel, is not that heavy. I am thinking something like 65 pounds?

I forget how much the last engine I shipped weighed at the courier. With everything hanging onto the engine, two manifolds, starter, flywheel, etc, the weight does add up.

One way to package it is to through bolt the engine to a plywood base, then put the entire thing into a large Rubbermaid type container. I have used slabs of rigid insulating foam board around the perimeter to stiffen the box and cushion the motor. Get it well packed in there, then zip tie the lid on all around the top. Pack it so it could be dropped onto any side or upside own. It should survive the trip just fine.

Oh yes, put tape over the intake and exhaust openings on the engine

Let me know how it goes, I've got an SLH hull and I'm considering installing a 1050 or 1200 in it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sschoeffler View Post
    No re-programming necessary? It is the updated CDI. I bought it from a Polaris dealer here in Tulsa about 3 years ago when the stock one took a shit. It has the original part number crossed through and 447 in white marker underneath it.
    nope no reprogramming at all there only off by acouple of degrees and tons of guys have them in there 1200's already with no problems at all

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    if you have a updated 447 cdi it will work fine on a 1200 motor

I have done it. Works fine. No problems, and you probably won't notice the difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information