2004 Polaris Virage i loses electrical power

I have a 2004 Polaris Virage i.

It loses all power and I cannot figure out where the issue is?

It has a new battery and stator
    Last edited by K447; 09-06-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

What exactly happens?

I will be out riding it and it will just shut off I loose all electrical power and the screen won't come back on

+1
    Fuel injected or carburetor engine?

Start with the battery cables. Remove both ends of both heavy cables. Inspect for looseness, damage, corrosion.

Clean the engine ground bolt and threads and the bolt hole threads. Make sure there is no paint and you have solid and clean metal to shiny metal contact at the engine.

What battery do you have installed? How old? I recently had similar failure symptoms and it turned out to be the battery had internally fractured.

Does it fix itself? Right away?

It's fuel injected the battery cables are good and the ground is also good I put a new battery in it last year to see if it fixes the problem and it didn't it didn't fix it when I put the new battery in so I brought it back to the shop and they put a new stator in it and when I got it back it worked for a couple of days and it died again so I brought it back to the shop and they messed with it and got it to run again and when I went for a ride it did te same thing so I brought it back and they put a new computer in it and it still has nothing the screen won't even come on

+1
    The shop seems to be chasing the wrong things.

The MFI digital dash display should never go blank. It does, so that tells me that somewhere in the electrical system there is a broken wire or intermittent electrical connection. The display has a fairly simple electrical power feed.

There is a 15 Amp fuse that gets power from the battery via a thin red wire. That thin red wire starts at the solenoid, right where the heavy red battery cable connects. The other side of the fuse feeds a Red/Purple wire, which is the main power wire.

There is also a fuel pump fuse in the same splice connector (labels are on the splice shell).

The single Red/Purple wire goes into another splice connector, from which power fans out to feed many things, one of which is that display. Red/Purple power for the display goes into yet another splice, where there is a 2 Amp fuse. Finally a Red/White wire runs to the actual display.

On the return side, Black wire from the display goes to a large splice with many Black wires. From there a single black wire runs to the engine itself. Find that engine ground wire connection and make sure it is clean and solid.

My suspicion is that one or more of these wire splices has corrosion, broken or loose connections or a broken wire.

Ok thank you I will check into that tomorrow and I will get back ahold of you

how did you get on with the loosing all electric power mine was doing it just total died then after few seconds resets and away for 100 yards same again ive doubled all earths and hopefully try again soon but i live 200 miles from coast

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenski View Post
    how did you get on with the loosing all electric power mine was doing it just total died then after few seconds resets and away for 100 yards same again ive doubled all earths and hopefully try again soon but i live 200 miles from coast
    Welcome.

Does the display go completely blank when electrical power is lost?

What year and model do you have?

Thread Information