2001 seadoo GTX RFI propulsion

Hey everyone,

I am knew to this forum and I know there are probably rules about posting and I can only hope that I'm not double posting.

I was out on the water yesterday after getting my Ski back from the repair shop(bad starter), everything was going fine, then after a while I couldn't go past 40MPH. I was on flat glass water and I can usually get up to 55MPH. The problem got worse, I could only move about 5MPH, but the Engine was still reving just fine. This had happened to me before but it was just seaweed stuck in the intake, so I jumped off the SKI and got under to see if I could pull anything out, nothing was there. So I putted at 5MPH back to the docks, I looked deep up into the intake and saw nothing. I turned the SKI on to see if there was a drive shaft issue, I reved it up and drive shaft was spinning just fine. So to sum it up everything looks good and sounds good, but I have barely any movement on the water.

Once again sorry if I am posting wrong, I did look around first and didn't really find anything. If this is a post that should be somewhere else you can let me know. Any helps is appreciated.

Thanks Nate

I would check your wear ring, if it got ate up I would make sure it is lined up right and if not you may have to reshim your motor mounts

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    actually the wear ring and the driveshaft seal are two different items.

As said, likely the wear ring is toast..doesn't take much. Could be a tow rope wrapped around the driveshaft too..pull the pump and inspect.

As long as the engine hasn't been removed, don't worry about alignment.

if you search for wear ring repairs, you'll find a whole bunch of how tos on the forum.

Make room in your freezer for this job.

you'll see why

welcome to the hulk

Thanks nmpeter for your response. I'll give you the latest. I actually looked way up in there and didn't see a rope or anything for that matter. I had my brother turn it on and rev it up while I was underneath. I saw the prop/impeller spin as it should and it spun faster as he revved it. Just wanted to give you the latest and see if you think the wear ring is still the problem. Thanks for your help.

Oh and thanks stal94gt as well.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the quick measure of a wear ring is how much room there is between the edge of the impeller blade and the housing..shine a light up the tunnel.

Likely you won't be able to tell unless it's blaringly obvious without actually pulling the pump..... 6 bolts and maybe a clamp or two and it's on your workbench.

Thread Information