over revving out of the hole

I have a 2002 XLT 1200. Engine was rebuilt 2 years ago due to oil injection problems. I burnt up the engine. The engine seems to run fine now. I had taken it to the beach last year, and I think I got sea weed in the intake grate at the ramp. It over revved to the point that it would not work past idle speed.The dealer said my impeller was damaged. I had them replace the impeller 1 year go. (Not sure how seaweed could do that) They said the intake was not clogged. I am now back on my fresh water lake and I am having the same problem. It seems to happen when I am attempting to come up to plane. Once on plane, it works fine. If I slow down, I encounter the same problem.I have to play with the RPM's sometimes when I turn also. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Its cavitating. Use the search button on how to resolve XLT cavitation write ups. Lots off god stuff to read on here

+1
    replace prop and impeler housing is seperating.friction heat .on the stainless liner seperates it from aluminum pull housing out and look at impeller side.check for burn marks in housing and trailing edge of prop blades

I pulled the stack grate and have ordered a R&D Aquavein. The impeller looks OK. I will take it out with the new grate and see if that fixes the problem.

Thread Information