Thread: PWC Perspective

PWC Perspective

Hi Everyone,

I am new to PWC but looking to get a good ski at a reasonable price. Would like your perspective on one I looked at today and the risk and things I should think about. I looked at 2004 GTX, it needs the super charger rebuilt and has ~400 hours on it. I will say it has been sitting for a while but we covered up the opening where the super charge goes and it started right up with no real smoke. He wants around 1600 for it without a tailor. I am taking a risk not getting on the water I understand that, are there other things I should be worried about with the engine given the hours that are on it etc. Thanks for your input here.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    a running 4-tec for that money isn't bad..assuming the rest of it isn't a train rec. pics help lots. 400 hours is up there for a 4-tec..but if it ain't smoking, I'd say it was a good deal.

oh yeah...welcome to the hulk

+1
    Welcome aboard the Hulk!!

Was the ski a fresh or salt water ski?

With 400 hours I'd have a professional look it over before you buy it.
    Why is the supercharger not in the ski??
    Did it have ceramic washer failure??
    With it not being ridden in a while you can expect other things to break within the 1st ten hours after you get it running..
    These skis don't like to sit..

Why did they stop using it??

Here is a link tot he add -> http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/4053737680.html

He said he pulled it because the SC was starting to make noise after he said he replaced the washers. The gear on the end of the SC has A LOT of play in it. The other thing that has me on the fence is he filled some chips on the bottom and sprayed them with black car paint vs. gelcoat or use a gelcoat repair kit. Last time he said it was in the water was pre Memorial Day 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    Welcome aboard the Hulk!!

Was the ski a fresh or salt water ski?

With 400 hours I'd have a professional look it over before you buy it.
    Why is the supercharger not in the ski??
    Did it have ceramic washer failure??
    With it not being ridden in a while you can expect other things to break within the 1st ten hours after you get it running..
    These skis don't like to sit..

Why did they stop using it??

+1
    I think I'd pass unless your a mechanic on these skis. Your pretty much taking his word on it that everything will be fine. If its not your screwed and will be throwing hundreds if not thousands into it. Price overall is good but a lot of hours and questions marks on it.

I guess I'd wonder why he won't take a day to get the machine running and make an extra 1K to 1.5K on the ski.

Personally I think I'd raise your budget to around 3K and look around. At least you'll get a fully running machine you can test.
    Last edited by skylolow; 09-09-2013 at 08:06 AM.

+1
    Not a novice ski or a ski for the 1st timer. Never buy a fixer upper beyond your mechanical level or ability to pay the bill worst case senerio. Does the guy sound like a novice or a person who knows more than he is letting on? Who snatched the sc out? Him or a shop? Think about why won't a person drop the supercharger back in after a rebuild and ask double? Why sell a ski under presumption unless hoping to cover himself if or when it fails? The supercharger is a smoking gun. Unless you are willing and able to take a chance and possibly lose on it, I would pass. Don't assume it will run just because it fires up. My guess is something's wrong, he may not be sure exactly what and rather sell it to a hoping buyer that way he can say he told you so if problems come up.

Case in point. A seller had one that needed a battery and gauge. They were in quick contact until I said I'll be bringing both so that we can water test. No replies after that.

7. +1 by:

+1
    +1
    Not unless your mechanically inclined..

Thread Information