Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Salt Water Maintenance question

Just started breaking in the engine on a GTR 215 and I took it back to clean from its maiden voyage in salt water. I flushed the exhaust for 90 seconds per the manual and washed down the outside the haul. I also sprayed some UV protection spray to the seat.

The manual also says you can rinse the bilge area. Is the bilge area the hole where the engine sits under the seat? I sprayed some T-9 (I think thats what it was called) anti-corrosive lubricant on the engine block. Should I spray everything in there?

The dealer said you could splash the engine block and area in the hole under the seat with the hose. Is this true or are they wrong?

Anything else I can be doing? What exactly is the bilge area? And what all I can I spray with the anti-corrosive T-9 stuff under the seat?

Thanks all again for the help.

Ryan Pinner
    Destin, FL

+1
    Bilge is where the engine lives. Mine gets soapy water after every ride, then some xps spray. You don't want salt water sitting on everything. Also leave the seats off when stored.

+1
    Good idea to take the plastic engine cover off b4 soaping it , I use the air compressor to blow excess water away then spray with a lubricant

+1
    I just put my washing wand on mist with salt away and hit everything lightly then same with fresh water(don't drench anything) vacuum out with portable shop vac...let dry a bit then hit everything that is metal with light coat of the sea doo lube(inside and out) Just leave the cover off.

+1
    I'm only riding salt water. I flush at least 5 minutes to get all the salt out of my intercooler and exhaust system.
    I do it right after pulling it out of the water, so the shaft seal is still wet.
    After engine cool down i just spray fresh water all over the engine en everything inside the hull.
    Than i blow the engine dry with compressed air and let it dry for a few hours with all covers open.
    Buy yourself a box of Seadoo XPS spray. It's expensive but IMO the best!!
    Than spray your complete engine well in.
    Also the other stuff in the hull, the jetpump area, between the gas and brake levers etc.
    Look in your manual how to open the IBR gate manually for better access to your jetpump and steeringcable at the back.

Riding the waves at sea is nice but you have to take a little more care than when your only on fresh water!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by EVN81 View Post
    I'm only riding salt water. I flush at least 5 minutes to get all the salt out of my intercooler and exhaust system.
    I do it right after pulling it out of the water, so the shaft seal is still wet.
    After engine cool down i just spray fresh water all over the engine en everything inside the hull.
    Than i blow the engine dry with compressed air and let it dry for a few hours with all covers open.
    Buy yourself a box of Seadoo XPS spray. It's expensive but IMO the best!!
    Than spray your complete engine well in.
    Also the other stuff in the hull, the jetpump area, between the gas and brake levers etc.
    Look in your manual how to open the IBR gate manually for better access to your jetpump and steeringcable at the back.

Riding the waves at sea is nice but you have to take a little more care than when your only on fresh water!!
    5 minutes is way to long your going to burn up your carbon seal...it's water cooled. Check your manual. I flush with salt a way for 30-45 sec and done. Don't rev to get it out...leave it in their. 110 hrs on my 2010 TX 260 and no problems.

7. +1 by:

+1
    +1 on the salt away, that stuff make bare aluminum shine and will NEVER corrode.

It's cheap too.

if you only ride salt water then get a salt away kit.

Here you go.

http://www.amazon.com/Salt-Away-Prod...ords=salt+away

+1
    [QUOTE=DinoMite;2260203]
    5 minutes is way to long your going to burn up your carbon seal...it's water cooled. Check your manual. I flush with salt a way for 30-45 sec and done. Don't rev to get it out...leave it in their. 110 hrs on my 2010 TX 260 and no problems.
    50 hours in the salt this summer (T-X 2011) and still no problems. But i'm gonna check the carbon seal anyway this winter. Especially because i'm gonna fit a Solas impeller and i read some problems with driveshafts and leaking seals........

+1
    [QUOTE=EVN81;2260208]
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoMite View Post
    50 hours in the salt this summer (T-X 2011) and still no problems. But i'm gonna check the carbon seal anyway this winter. Especially because i'm gonna fit a Solas impeller and i read some problems with driveshafts and leaking seals........
    Shaft alignment is everything...if your starting to mod it's worth it to have confidence your engine alignment is spot on.

any more then 30-40 seconds on the hose and your just wasting time and killing your seals. Rinse the motor with fresh water and some dawn, and leave the lid off to air dry, once is dry spray everything with wd40 and youre done. dont waste money on anything thing with an overpriced sticker on it and leave the seat cracked overnight to completely dry.. I have a rental in the keys and the seadoos actually float overnight , it literally look brand new inside. Runs like a bat out of hell too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information