Technical Question About Domestic Stators???

Okay so I was sitting in the garage today prepping my 1050 motor for new gaskets and a top end kit etc. and I was thinking (which is scary) but my thought was about the domestic stators. What is it that actually goes bad? The hall effect sensors fail due to excessive heat over time if im not mistaken. I have found so far that unless you pour water in your e-box or melt your CDI, the CDI isnt the part that fails, its the stator. So that being said could a person create a hall effect sensor and then rebuild the stator themselves and solve the issue of having to find the stators? Its a dramatic change in resistance via a sensor when the magnet in the flywheel passes over, so could we create a resistance based magnetic sensor to go back in there and replace the old ones. If I am way off track or if someone has already done this and im just wasting my keyboard life please tell me. But those were my random overly in depth thoughts today while prepping my motor.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I do not have the statistics to back it up, but my understanding is that the failures in the original, non-updated stators are mostly in the coil windings. Specifically the fine windings for the exciter coils.

When the Gen III stators were designed the coils were changed to fewer turns of larger gauge wire. This improved the reliability. The exciter coil change is what forced the Gen III CDI to also be different.

The Hall Effect sensors can sometimes fail. When there were companies rebuilding these stators, at least one of them could also replace Hall Effect sensors if needed.

The actual Hall Effect sensor devices are quite small and probably not expensive. The hard part, when replacement is needed, is carefully extracting the old one and wiring in the new one, then sealing it into position.

The CDI do also sometimes fail. Again, I do not have statistics on failure causes or rates. Sometimes it is triggered by backwards battery polarity, sometimes it is just age, heat, vibration, or water exposure.

So that being said, could I go about rebuilding an old Gen 1 stator I have, by simply rewinding the coils? I have an old style ignition in one of my skis that runs better than the newer style ski, so I wanted to keep the old stator and maybe rewire it to work again, because it was only giving me spark on 1.5 cylinders.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmi291 View Post
    So that being said, could I go about rebuilding an old Gen 1 stator I have, by simply rewinding the coils? I have an old style ignition in one of my skis that runs better than the newer style ski, so I wanted to keep the old stator and maybe rewire it to work again, because it was only giving me spark on 1.5 cylinders.
    Do you have experience rewinding coils?

Sure it can be done, that is basically what the commercial rewinding services do. They have specialized equipment and experience to do it efficiently, of course.

You would need to source the appropriate winding wire and count the turns during removal of the old wires. Then wind on the new wire, tightly and evenly, resolder the ends and apply sealant.

+1
    hopefully u can rewind them and we will all send ours to you ,

keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by ssmi291 View Post
    What is it that actually goes bad?
    If I am way off track or if someone has already done this.
    Not done this but I'm working on it as a back burner project. I'm in the same boat and not going to let a bad stator put any of my domestic 700 ski's into long term dry dock. I don't see why a rewind isn't a viable option.

As for what goes bad, I'm thinking it's not much difference from issues I had with motorcycle stators way back in another life. Vibration. Relative movement between the coil and frame, once a wire chafes through the mylar insulator and/or rubs varnish off the wire, you're dead in the water.

My next step is to locate "bad" stator(s). I need to get some measurements then take one apart to get the construction and winding details.
    Last edited by K447; 09-10-2013 at 12:14 AM.

I mean I didn't think i would be doing full rebuilds with pistons and pulling motors out of these things when I first bought them. And I also never thought I would do a head gasket repair on an automobile and the internet has taught me everything, so why not learn how to save $250 on a stator and keep reusing the old ones. And the best part is........ I can do it INDOORS, working on jet skis in the garage or outside in Texas has not been enjoyable at all! So maybe I will take the old stator that I have and tear into it during some spare time and let you guys know how it goes. Worst case scenario, an already bad stator goes in the trash in more pieces than one.

So one more question, I have an almost brand new old style CDI in the SL1050 the Gen 1 with red potting on the rear, as long as I keep water out of that e-box and dont hook it up to battery backwards what if anything should I be worried in losing it?

Thread Information