Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Should I pick up this 1996 Superjet?

So I'm getting the itch to get a SuperJet, and the guy I bought my GP1200r last spring happens to still have a Superjet from then. It is still in his basement untouched all summer. The story goes - it is not his. It's a friend of his who needed a place to store it. Registration is expired but paperwork from the real owner shouldnt be a problem. Not sure if registration is a big deal to get re-newed and restarted in Georgia. not sure how/good of a deal this is, but here goes:

1. Is a 1996 Yamaha SJ 701 dual carb
    2. Has a bunch of mods - Shaved flywheel, ADA Head, Bildge, Blosion hood... Thats the begining of the list. i honestly didnt catch everything that it might have and all. I'll presume it has a LOT more going on atm.
    3. Its totally white in color. i think someone may have removed all the decals? In any case the hull needs some re-finishing. Not sure if it needs/has pads.
    4. When I bought my GPR, I looked at this SJ for a few minutes. The outside looks kinda dull, but the hull inside looks crazy clean like a classic-rebuilt ski. Theres a LOT of aftermarket in this ski. It kinda like fast and Furious I when they first opened the hood on the wrecked Toyota and found a 'JZ' engine - kinda.
    5. Owner says needs nothing. Even the battery is good. Starts right up. Says the ski is very very fast.

So, Thats about all I know. I do know, that the 96+ SJ units here in Georgia are hard to find a still go for a bit. This current asking price for this unit is $1700 obo and comes with a small ski trailer. The owner is willing to move so the price may get better. Other units for sale go for more $$ of this year.

Should I go for this or something else?
    Last edited by ZeroClient; 09-11-2013 at 06:41 AM.

Pics attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	313083   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	116 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	313082   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	118 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	313081   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	107 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	313079   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	124 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	313080  

The NSA know's that I'm in Spokane, WA
    Check the compression. If it's OK, then go for it. Thats a good price for an SJ with all those goodies.

Long Island
    Go for it. Great price for a rn superjet

Go for it
    LOL ok. I've got a compression gauge and will check.

Under the last photo of the engine hull I posted - What modifications do you think it has?

I see heads, flame aresters, and exhaust - right? Theres something else also on top of the fuel tank. Anything else look modified here?
    I have no clue if/what anything has been done to the pump or under-hull. What should I expect or go for in terms of a matching prop to match these engine modifications?

Long Island
    if i'm not mistaken, that looks like a factory pipe exhaust which is very expensive and adds a ton of hp. (dont take my word, lots of pipes look similar). its definitely got a head, cant read what brand. those aren't stock air filters/flame arrestors which from my experience usually means they probably did aftermarket carbs and intake manifolds. Mikuni is a big brand for carbs, some superjets come with them but people usually get a bigger size. there could be more but thats what i'm guessing from the top view.

as for the outside, the footholds are a nice touch, they actually help alot. thats an extended ride plate. it looks like straight or 4 degree bars, and that looks like a billet finger throttle.

dont take my word, whoever built the ski would know it best. talk to the seller

Wow ok. I'll have to ask some more questions about it then. Sounds like a stealing deal if the motor is still ok. Does 50mph sound right? It's what the owners friend told me.

Wow I just loked up that Factory Pipe exhaust. I better nab this thing. Now I gotta convince the wife we can afford it

If this motor was built with good parts and attention to detail - I wonder what it could be 'worth'?

Odi grips, umi throttle, factory b-pipe, i believe the fuek cap was removed and moved on top of the tank, i think i see carbon fiber reinforcement on side of pipe, unsure about rideplate, prop might be aftermarket, exhaust was relocated.

That superjet is a steal at 1700 obo, anything lower then that is just ridiculous. Try 1400

10. +1 by:

Banned User
    He'll offer him a grand and see what he says. I'm guessing his bottom line is around 1500

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information