2002 Polaris Virage 1200 TXi tough cold starts

I have seen this type of issue on this forum before. Now I have this problem

I've had a 1200 virage txi for a few years now and getting it started in the morning is no fun.

The engine turns over just fine and will run for a second with a very weak idle, then die.
    I'll continually turn the engine and get a slightly better start as time goes on and the engine starts to generate heat.
    Once the engine is hot from all the cranking, the machine starts great and runs great for the rest of the day.

I just hate the fact that I have to rev it hard with the rough idle and generate heat to get the machine working. I've activated the overheat warning a few times.

I have recently replaced the stator, that didnt help. I'm pondering removing the EMM and sending it to DFI.

Connections look good, battery is good. The engine simply needs to be hot before it starts and runs properly.

Ideas????

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

I suspect it is not the engine that needs to warm up, it is the EMM itself. The EMM generates heat as it works to drive the fuel injectors and ignition. This is why it has a water cooling feed.

Try monitoring the voltage on the fuel injector power wire, which is the White/Red wire that runs to all three injectors. It is also present at the loop through diagnostic connector near the EMM, and possibly at one or two wire splice connectors. All these have the same voltage. When cranking the voltage should be something over 20 volts. Once the engine starts, the voltage should jump up to around 45 volts and stay there. This is measured with all injectors plugged in.

Another possibility is the TPS on the throttle body is not working properly. This seems less likely since you say the machine runs well once it warms up. Typically a failing TPS will not be 'perfect' afterwards, it often gets worse as the days and weeks go by.

I was thinking the same thing about the TPS. My cranking voltage was low a few months ago. According to a mechanic in town, the voltage was only 70% of what it should have been during the starting process and it did not jump up until it was hot. That was the reason why I decided to swap out the stator. Unfortunately, I still suspect that my cranking voltage is low and it does not jump up during that second or two when it turns over and then dies.

+1
    Cranking voltage? As in battery voltage during cranking?

Or fuel injector voltage during cranking?

fuel injector voltage.

It was read as only 70% of what it should have been while the engine was trying to start. Once the motor was hot and holding an idle, I assumed the voltage was working properly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... I suspect it is not the engine that needs to warm up, it is the EMM itself...

Try monitoring the voltage on the fuel injector power wire, which is the White/Red wire that runs to all three injectors. It is also present at the loop through diagnostic connector near the EMM, and possibly at one or two wire splice connectors. All these have the same voltage. When cranking the voltage should be something over 20 volts. Once the engine starts, the voltage should jump up to around 45 volts and stay there. This is measured with all injectors plugged in. ...
    Still thinking the EMM has an issue.

i sent it to DFI earlier this week

Quote Originally Posted by coolgary76 View Post
    i sent it to DFI earlier this week
    Have you had any outcome with your EMM yet? I'm having the same problem, in the morning runs terrible and seems to be missing when firing... Then after I have tried to run it I would let is sit for a while and wammo, the ski would run fine the rest of the day... So let me know as I'm trying to diagnose mine this winter as well!

Thanks

Thread Information