Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help with my STLX 1050

My name is John Quest, I bought my STLX two years ago and it has been in the shop the whole time, and now they tell me, they wont even work on it or try to fix it.

I live at Canyon Lake Texas, between Austin and San Antonio.

So far I have installed a new top end, Bottom end, and a new stator and ignition update kit.

My problem is that there is no spark.

Can anybody help me?

If so here is my contact information

John Quest
    833 Hillside Loop
    Canyon Lake, Texas 78133
    Home 830 899-8555
    Cell Phone 830 214-4454

Any help is appreciated, Thank You

+1
    John, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!
    We can certainly get you working again. I have a few questions as I'm sure others will as well.
    Which up-date did they install (part number)
    Do you have the boat so you can make some simple stator tests for us?
    Check out the tech section for Domestic Electrical and check out the PVL article.

wanna sell ? haha anyways you need 2 do al tests , he is the man ,
    him an i love the ugly duckling

bring up some wireing scamitics for this guy ,

you need 2 make sure that the kill switch is working that might hold you up 2 ,

but really would you like 2 sell

+1
    Check your battery...see what the volt amount is when you go to crank it over. If the volt meter drops below 10.5, it will not spark even if everything electrical is fine. There is a set drop on the electrical system that when the battery load goes below 10.5, it will not send a spark to the plugs. So obviously, if you are below 10.5, you need to get a new battery. Seadoo sets their drop at 11.2...not sure about Yamaha or Kawi.
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 03-13-2007 at 03:57 PM.

my ex gurl friend was makeing fun of me when it died on me once , thought i was outta gas now i know better , those polaris battery are pretty good i found mine still nesseled in there after 6- 10 years ,

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    John, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!
    We can certainly get you working again. I have a few questions as I'm sure others will as well.
    Which up-date did they install (part number)
    Do you have the boat so you can make some simple stator tests for us?
    Check out the tech section for Domestic Electrical and check out the PVL article.
    I am picking up the boats tomorow. I am capable of hands on repairs with the proper support.

The Polaris part number on the update kit is 2873091.

It had a spark when I took it to Sundowner Marine they installed the seal kit for the whole motor then they told me that uppon re assembly it had no spark and need a new stator. We ordered the new stator that came with the ignition update kit they installed it and it still did not have a spark. They gave up and I picked up the boats and I bought another stator with updat kit and installed it my self. I was bummed when I got it all back together and still no spark.

I then took it to extreem power sprots a place in San Antonio that repairs PWC's and a previous Polaris tech even works there. He told me that the tests show a bad stator so I took the stater and update kit back to Woods Cycle Country a polaris dealer in New Braunsfuls wher I bauthe the kit and they replaced it with anothr brand new one. Extreem installed it and now they have given up and I am picking up the boats tommorow.

I really hope you can help me to figure this out.

Also there was a red jump wire with a yellow lead coming off of it and they do not know where it goes in the electrical box. So if you know what it is for please let me know. It looks like a connection for the tach in one of the coils.

Thanks
    John Quest

Quote Originally Posted by JetskiMN View Post
    Check your battery...see what the volt amount is when you go to crank it over. If the volt meter drops below 10.5, it will not spark even if everything electrical is fine. There is a set drop on the electrical system that when the battery load goes below 10.5, it will not send a spark to the plugs. So obviously, if you are below 10.5, you need to get a new battery. Seadoo sets their drop at 11.2...not sure about Yamaha or Kawi.
    I installed a new battery and had it on a charger at 10 amps while I was trying to start the motor.
    JQ

Quote Originally Posted by 97sltx1050 View Post
    wanna sell ? haha anyways you need 2 do al tests , he is the man ,
    him an i love the ugly duckling

bring up some wireing scamitics for this guy ,

you need 2 make sure that the kill switch is working that might hold you up 2 ,

but really would you like 2 sell
    I might sell it some day however for now this has for me become much more than boat ownership it is more of an adventrue and it is a challenge I am not wantiing to be beat. It has become a quest and I am up to the challenge.

JQ

+1
    Have you verified their install procedure in the tech section?
    Check out post #9 and double check the engine, CDI and coil grounds.
    What resistance do you have if you measure from the spark plug wire to engine ground? To battery ground?
    Have you disconnected the black/yellow wire to the CDI to make sure the start/stop switch is not defective?
    How are you checking for spark?
    Do you have an in-line spark tester (best results, easy to see)?
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 03-13-2007 at 11:04 PM.

ph2ocraft......does this sound familiar or WHAT!!! I saved a thread you and I had from last year but I can't seem to find it in my saved files. It had something to do w/the orange wire being repositioned to the hmmm
    I seem to recall that as your cranking the motor over, you should be getting 12+ volts to the regulator....hmmm and w/o this there would be little or no spark condition because the cdi was trying to pull power from the battery alone and not the stator. Gosh, I hope i'm not throwing the confusion crescent wrench into it!
    Another note: I either skipped or missed the part on whether or not the s/p resistor caps were checked or changed.
    Passing thoughts are sometimes like passing wind; in that they both can stink up the place!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information