1993 Polaris SL 650 - water in crank case, why and how?

polaris sl 650 1993 i have been working on this ski,i done a top end rebuild(new gaskets as well, i did remove the thermostat and the pwhite pop off valve inside tha thermostat housing as well,

I took it to the lake to test it (it runs good on the trailer) but when i put it in the water it don't run hardly at all,

I tore it back down and i have found a lot of water in the block. WHAT CAUSED THIS?

(heads were shaved prior to rebuild) COULD not installing the thermostat and that white little plastic piece and spring in the thermostat housing have cause this?

2 day i poured oil down the water jacket ports on the crank case (with jugs off) to see if it leaks off or out so far it hasnt going down any, is this a good way to check to see if my leak is in the crank case?

please help!!
    Last edited by K447; 09-11-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The 1992 and 1993 Polaris 650 Fuji engines had a water cooled crank case. Later model years did not.

The cooling water circulation was also different on those early engines. Do you have the entire original factory water cooling configuration?

Removing the insides from the thermostat would not cause the core of the engine to flood.

Did you get water into the actual inner crank case where the crankshaft sits?

When you rebuilt the engine did you use new cylinder base gaskets and exhaust gaskets?

Did you take the crank case apart?

Why did you shave the cylinder heads?

yes i do have the complete configuration for the water coolonig system off of antoher ski i have, i have the hoses, the top water rail,exaust maniford and the big horn looking tube..thats all i need correct? i can still use the jet pump in the 93 cant i ? the one in the 94 is good but not sure how to get it off the haul cuz its galded on there... and yes i had water in were the crank case under the crank about 2 inches( on the 93) , yes i replaced all top end gaskets including the base, but no i did not have the crank case apart, the reason i shaved the heads on the 650 is to true them... iam thinking of takeing the 93 650 crank and putting into the 94 750 crank case (if i can?) and do as you say change hoses manifold water rail,and weel thata it isnt it? thanks for your help!! please tell me more!!

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The 1992 and 1993 Polaris 650 Fuji engines had a water cooled crank case. Later model years did not.

The cooling water circulation was also different on those early engines. Do you have the entire original factory water cooling configuration?

Removing the insides from the thermostat would not cause the core of the engine to flood.

Did you get water into the actual inner crank case where the crankshaft sits?

When you rebuilt the engine did you use new cylinder base gaskets and exhaust gaskets?

Did you take the crank case apart?

Why did you shave the cylinder heads?
    yes i do have the complete configuration for the water coolonig system off of antoher ski i have, i have the hoses, the top water rail,exaust maniford and the big horn looking tube..thats all i need correct? i can still use the jet pump in the 93 cant i ? the one in the 94 is good but not sure how to get it off the haul cuz its galded on there... and yes i had water in were the crank case under the crank about 2 inches( on the 93) , yes i replaced all top end gaskets including the base, but no i did not have the crank case apart, the reason i shaved the heads on the 650 is to true them... iam thinking of takeing the 93 650 crank and putting into the 94 750 crank case (if i can?) and do as you say change hoses manifold water rail,and weel thata it isnt it? thanks for your help!! please tell me more!!

+1
    Cranks should swap with no problem. Get out some WD40 or other spray and hose the crank bearings down. If the liquid that comes out is brownish, you have rusty bearings. Be sure to replace your crank seals and get a tube of threebond 1211 for reassembling the halves. This is a pretty good rebuild thread: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=193805

1995 polaris slt.. all the wires from the cdi box down to the started burned real bad, can any one tell me why? should i replace the stater and the wires to the cdi, or should i replace the cdi to?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewater View Post
    1995 polaris slt.. all the wires from the cdi box down to the started burned real bad, can any one tell me why? should i replace the stater and the wires to the cdi, or should i replace the cdi to?
    I just replied in another thread.

No need to post the same question in multiple places.

i dont understand what you are trying to tell me? i didnt post this queustion any were else...did i? if i did were? and know one has replied to this question..? 1995 polaris slt.. all the wires from the cdi box down to the started burned real bad, can any one tell me why? should i replace the stater and the wires to the cdi, or should i replace the cdi to?

+1

Thread Information