Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What would you pay for this

This guy started out at $2800 and is dropping the price every time I look. I think it is an SBT engine, I looked at it a few weeks ago and it looks clean, just curious what you guys think would be a good deal on it if I can cough up some cash.

1999 Ultra150 with trailer
    http://easternshore.craigslist.org/boa/4016326087.html

The guy did mention it had a slight leak on the thru the hull fitting, my first thought is the engine is out of alignment.

Nada guide says - $2400 average retail, $2170 low retail.

$2200 seems like a pretty fair price... BUT I'd still offer him $2k in cash. Stuff a wad of crisp new $100 bills in his hand. As the saying goes... Money talks

What are you thinking a dealer would offer him on a trade, I was thinking $1500.00 but I would like to get some thoughts on that.

A dealer would offer him $750 at best assuming it starts and runs perfectly. They may not even take it on trade at all.
    Its a 99, its got some faded paint and rubbers, been obviously rode hard hence the new motor and they'll be thinking they are only going to get $1800-2000 out of it selling it. Its a tough situation for the owner having just put the new motor in it and then selling it. Either should have sold it with the blown motors for parts or a fixer upper or put the new motor in it and keep it.
    I don't understand why you'd sink $2k into it to fix it when the ski is only worth $2k. That being said, having just sunk the money into it to fix it, he's not going to want to lose on the deal, breaking even is an easier pill to swallow.
    Just my two cents. I'm not a dealer.

I would pass and look for a newer year. Personally recommend a 03+ so many improvements to the hull and the colors are so much nicer. 99 is just ugly. I grabbed an 03 with a blown engine for 325 bucks.all the electronics worked and I built myself an engine for it for less then your looking to buy this one for.

Honest opinion keep looking...

Btw these are all ridden hard, just because it has a new engine means nothing. These are finicky and one small wrong thing can cause a failer.

Also if it has an sbt in it pass on the deal!

Thanks, already have 2 ski's I am working on and see other guys on here with 99 150's, wanted to get some thoughts on it.

That SBT motor scares me.... Also, U can't be sure on his break in procedure... Motors with only 5 hours scare me, too many variables to wrong. SBT sleeves their ultra 150 motors which is a bad idea.... Heard a lot of complaints about not being able to reach maximum RPMs with sleeve cylinders, the ultras came with nikasil cylinders. And besides in IMHO $2800 is way to much for that ski. U can pick them up in my neck on the woods all day for that price and the condition will be considerably better. If it were me I would take Turbomans advice and look elsewhere.

+1
    I concur I think that is a sbt. They paint after full assembly hence all the bolts/ nuts are painted.
    I also prefer to buy skis that are already blown. This way I know they are done right and broke in proper. That 5 hour mother might be shit already if it was not broke in right. Even I have a hard time restraining myself on break ins someone selling right away might not take the proper precautions.

+1
    If it's an SBT rebuild, what a shame... Absolute crap when it comes to an Ultra engine. Many don't last 20 hours. If you gave it to me, I'd probably part it out, or at least tear it down and start over.

Thanks for the info guys, I hadn't seen the "paperwork" for it but it is nice to get the confirm on the SBT engine, nice also to know how they go cheap on the sleeves and don't last long. He is correct in that he probably paid $2000 for the motor and install, that is a lot of money to go down the drain.

One last question, IF he got the premium engine upgrade from SBT and got the 2 year warranty, what would you offer him for the ski?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information