2004 msx 140 mositure issue.

I have a 2004 msx 140 that I was having some issues with. Had to replace TPS and installed inline fuel regulator got it running for a while then it would not start it would crank and try to start but wouldn't. I got it to start by spraying carb cleaner in intake but it would only stay running when I sprayed it in intake.

Not having any luck getting it to run I took injectors and cylinder heads off when I did there was a small amount of moisture in all 3 cylinders but 1 had more then other 2. It was not a lot of moisture so I wiped out cylinders cleaned them up and put it back together and it started right up.

Idle was a little off took a little bit for it to smooth out, so took it out and it ran great all day a couple times it would hesitate for a minute but worked fine all day.

Was going out the following weekend tried to start it prior to leaving house and it wouldn't start again did same thing would crank but wouldn't start so I pulled spark plugs and sprayed out cylinders and plugs with air, put plugs back in and it started right up.

Gasket looked ok on cylinders and cooling rail but replacing them.

Has any one had this issue any ideas what is happening? Thanks.
    Last edited by K447; 09-12-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Has this engine ever run properly for you, without any issues?
    How long have you owned it?

If there is a water leak at the exhaust to cylinder joint(s) that could allow moisture into the cylinders.

Correct spark plugs installed?

Is there any chance of water in the fuel tank?

I have had it since May took it out every weekend and it ran great for 2 months until the hull bearing seized then everything went downhill from there. Correct spark plugs. Had to pull gas tank to fix fuel pressure regulator so it was completely emptied, never flipped. I will check the exhaust joints. Thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have you run it on the water with the seat off?

There have been cases where there was a water leak spraying water onto the outside of the engine and into the engine air intake. Sometimes this only happens when the engine is running at medium or faster speeds with higher pressures in the water cooling system.

One way to check this is to run it on the launch ramp while still strapped to the trailer front and rear. Jet pump nicely submerged. You can run it with the seat off and apply throttle while observing the engine compartment.

Don't think I have had seat off out on lake. I did notice a small amount of rust on head bolts to block maybe there is a small leak some where by exhaust. I will try ski on the trailer next time.

Thread Information