Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cracked hull

Cracked hull

Has anyone heard of, or had a GP1300R - 2004 onwards - where the hull has cracked for no apparent reason............and with no impact.

Unfortunately this is the second time this has happended to me, both times the cracking has occurred on the rear right side adjacent to the rising in the footwell, starting from within the footwell, over the top, then down towards the gun-whale and stopping short.

My 2004 craft got replaced with a 2005 model FOC and rightly so at 7 months old; however the 2005 model cracked on the weeked and luckily has 1 month left on its warranty. Its returning to the dealer this weekend for inspection with Yamaha rep..........but without even seeing it they're suggesting its impact damage - they'll soon see like the other one it has no impact damage - and I'm not too much of a fat bloke so it ain't my weight.

Have heard Yam changed the hull compound for the 2004 craft to make it lighter; and there’s been plenty of reporting on the Riva forum of hull shoes ripping out due to these new hulls that are actually weak.

Any comments welcome as I need to stick impact suggestions up Yamaha as I’m not accepting a bodge up on a ski that’s in warranty and has cracked for no reason yet again – guess it just looks suspect when its happened twice to the same person in almost 2 years……………..funny how none of my mates pre 2004 skis have failed

+1
    Welcome cawky

Can you post some pics ?

My 04 does have similar damage. Mine is on the left side about 8" below the top of the well, and is about 5" long... 2" under the mat and the other 3" moving towards the center line.

My damage is from a rear impact with another ski.

+1
    Man, that's really weird. The first thing that popped into my head was maybe the trailer bunks being uneven/not level and putting some kind of bind on the hull. But I don't think that would do it.

pictures of the crack

here is the pictures:-
    Last edited by cawky; 02-02-2008 at 04:39 PM.

How exactly would a person go about fixing a crack like that?

Do you jump waves with it or ride in really rough water? I had a Waveraider hull crack on me during a hard landing in mixed-up boat wakes. The hood hinges even broke loose and the handlebars came back into my lap.

+1
    Welcome to thr forum cawky

Quote Originally Posted by cawky View Post
    Have heard Yam changed the hull compound for the 2004 craft to make it lighter; and there’s been plenty of reporting on the Riva forum of hull shoes ripping out due to these new hulls that are actually weak.
    The 04 GPRs have different inserts for the shoe & ride plate to stop the issue of them spinning and pulling out. The pump tunnel failing is due higher speed, tunnel pressure on modded skis with the new grates. Thats my understanding.

Is this a UK a ski and been on a roller trailler? As there are a couple of different variants that don't look like they support the ski properly or has the roller thingys rusted up and can no longer move to support the ski's hull. I had to sort the ones out for my trailer the other day because they didn't move about and evenly support the ski.

My 2004 1300 has 130 hours of constant abuse in the Solent and touch wood is still OK, but I do wonder how much abuse they can take from wave jumping etc.

But know of a FX160 that suffered hull damage and got replaced under warrenty.

aLL yamaha jetski is made in the USA, i understand the 1300 is made in oregon, this is where the hull is made, all the components are shipped in for assembly from Japan.
    I know these skis are made there as i had a issue in the UK with a CE Europe marking, i got a Riva RRE they didnt want to insure it as it NEVER CAME VIA EUROPE.. Stupid i know buy Jetskis are NOT made in the UK

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahajetpilot View Post
    aLL yamaha jetski is made in the USA, i understand the 1300 is made in oregon, this is where the hull is made, all the components are shipped in for assembly from Japan.
    I know these skis are made there as i had a issue in the UK with a CE Europe marking, i got a Riva RRE they didnt want to insure it as it NEVER CAME VIA EUROPE.. Stupid i know buy Jetskis are NOT made in the UK
    i have had the comment thrown at me...but yours is an import...like there is a factory in london that knock them out..there all imports..
    seen the e bayer selling quote "uk ski".i am still looking for a left hooker..

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information