ceramic washer question

Close to purchasing 2006 sportster with SCIC engine. Any reputable shops in Maryland you can recomended to replace ceramic washers with steel and does this vois any warranty. Also, any other changes to make engine more reliable?

Thanks in advance,
    Joe

+1
    It might be quicker to take off ths SC and send it to Jerry.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar

Wink

Nobody can tell you if it will void your warranty except the dealer...

However, here are my thoughts.

1). You keep the ceramic washers in to retain the "warranty" you obviously run the risk of having major problems; i.e. the ceramic debris flooding the oil system in your motor(s). Dealers seldom fix this properly and you'll have LOTS more trouble. The ceramic kills oil pumps and boat loads of other internal parts, most of which the dealer isn't going to tear down a motor to find out. They will clean the front screen put new washers in and tell you all is fine. Fast forward to a year later(or four even). You now have motor issues once again. It stalls on you and you require being towed in. Unfortunately you never got a hose clamp for proper jet ski towing and you also now have water in a couple cylinders. You go to your dealer and have it checked only to find you are no longer under warranty. This time your oil pumps are toast, from improper repair while under the wonderful warranty, and you have a total seizure due to water. You post your problem here and many sympathize/empathize with you and say you should have made sure the repair was done correctly the first time. How could you? They told you they did do it right.... So you post in the classifieds and luckily find a decent motor(s) with ok hours for 3 grand. You return to the trusted dealer for them to install the motor. They do, and give you the paperwork (which has no warranty of ANY kind because of the circumstances). The engine is not perfectly aligned and you have no way of knowing. Since you've now been without a doo for a couple months you are more than eager to test it. You know you should wait until the weekend, but the ramp is on the way home, so you stop. It'll just be five/ten minutes, you tell yourself. So you put in and off you go. About a mile away from the ramp it starts to ride rough and cavitate horribly. The tail starts to ride lower and lower in the water because the carbon ring is misaligned and taking on water fast. You now have the most recent addition to a man made reef in your local area and insurance offers you a piddly excuse for a settlement, with which you go and buy the worlds largest jar of Vaseline for your aching sphincter.

OR....

2) You put in the washers and it doesn't break and end up in the shop.

phwew,
    sean
    Last edited by SeanCucf; 03-13-2007 at 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling

+1
    Dam Sean well put, you forgot to put in the buying of a new boat after the jar of vaseline

Quote Originally Posted by SeanCucf View Post
    with which you go and buy the worlds largest jar of Vaseline for your aching sphincter.
    thats priceless!!!

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrich View Post
    Dam Sean well put, you forgot to put in the buying of a new boat after the jar of vaseline
    naw the insurance co. settlement left him with just enough for the lube....

well, on second thought, might be enough left over for a wetbike...

Quote Originally Posted by SeanCucf View Post
    Nobody can tell you if it will void your warranty except the dealer...

However, here are my thoughts.

1). You keep the ceramic washers in to retain the "warranty" you obviously run the risk of having major problems; i.e. the ceramic debris flooding the oil system in your motor(s). Dealers seldom fix this properly and you'll have LOTS more trouble. The ceramic kills oil pumps and boat loads of other internal parts, most of which the dealer isn't going to tear down a motor to find out. They will clean the front screen put new washers in and tell you all is fine. Fast forward to a year later(or four even). You now have motor issues once again. It stalls on you and you require being towed in. Unfortunately you never got a hose clamp for proper jet ski towing and you also now have water in a couple cylinders. You go to your dealer and have it checked only to find you are no longer under warranty. This time your oil pumps are toast, from improper repair while under the wonderful warranty, and you have a total seizure due to water. You post your problem here and many sympathize/empathize with you and say you should have made sure the repair was done correctly the first time. How could you? They told you they did do it right.... So you post in the classifieds and luckily find a decent motor(s) with ok hours for 3 grand. You return to the trusted dealer for them to install the motor. They do, and give you the paperwork (which has no warranty of ANY kind because of the circumstances). The engine is not perfectly aligned and you have no way of knowing. Since you've now been without a doo for a couple months you are more than eager to test it. You know you should wait until the weekend, but the ramp is on the way home, so you stop. It'll just be five/ten minutes, you tell yourself. So you put in and off you go. About a mile away from the ramp it starts to ride rough and cavitate horribly. The tail starts to ride lower and lower in the water because the carbon ring is misaligned and taking on water fast. You now have the most recent addition to a man made reef in your local area and insurance offers you a piddly excuse for a settlement, with which you go and buy the worlds largest jar of Vaseline for your aching sphincter.

OR....

2) You put in the washers and it doesn't break and end up in the shop.

phwew,
    sean
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

SeanCucf made a comment in his "S/C Removal How-To" about not having to rely on somebody working on his ski, or anything else, & I couldn't agree more. I would rather do it myself and know it was done right and if I can't do it I'm extremely picky on who touches my Mustang or ski.

Get the washers & enjoy your boat.

I was real close to saying the heck with the washers, and taking my chances, after all, it has a warranty. I did not want o mess with it, because of the warranty, and the time to take off the s/c.

It takes 30 minutes or so to get it off/on, and Jerry had it on it's way the next day. So now that it is over, It is one less thing to worry about. Some say, just let off the gas when it comes un-hooked, and the washers will be o.k., .............sure. I would just do it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bconwayls1 View Post
    I was real close to saying the heck with the washers, and taking my chances, after all, it has a warranty. I did not want o mess with it, because of the warranty, and the time to take off the s/c.

It takes 30 minutes or so to get it off/on, and Jerry had it on it's way the next day. So now that it is over, It is one less thing to worry about. Some say, just let off the gas when it comes un-hooked, and the washers will be o.k., .............sure. I would just do it.
    Good decision.... I did the same, now we can sleep better.

Thread Information