1998 Sportster 1800 MPEM issue

I just got my boat back from the dealer and they are stating I need a new MPEM. The Starboard engine fires, but the Port, not a single crank. Tried switching the electrical boxes, nothing. Even tried the ground. ANyone have any ideas or know where I can get a NOS or used (guaranteed working) replacement? Or do you have any ideas on how to hook up 2 MPEMS in place of 1? It appears as Sea Doo Source is working on a kit, but I haven't heard back from them.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    welcome aboard the hulk.

Seadoo two stroke mpems are uber picey and in really short supply and from what I've seen dealers and lots of smaller shops can't troubleshoot these.

Now does this port engine crank over at all? Or it cranks over but there is no spark?

The only way you typically get a "guaranteed" working electrical part is to have somebody install it for you.

I've done a couple of dual mpem conversions, but I've since stopped as the removal of the safety features turned out to be a bad idea.

SDS would be your best bet to get the stuff at a reasonable price via the clever kit approach, but let's assume there was a misdiagnosis here for the moment.

so..crank and no spark..or no cranking at all?

Engine doesn't crank over. Per dealer mpem is shorted. Hoping a kit was out there, or instructions on the dual replacement.

+1
    no other suppliers that I'm aware of for such a kit. Just not enough demand for anybody to deal with the kit aspect.

I don't think it would be beyond any decent common sense driven tech to put it together

I've been looking at the wiring diagram and doesn't seem difficult. Just need to segregate each of the engines wiring, connect to the new single MPEM and then put in a separate wiring block for the accessories. Sounds like a good winter project.

+1
    for a winter project let me suggest that you figure out how to prevent an engine start if the "gearshift" is not in neutral . It didn't look like an insurmountable issue. You will have to get some isolation diodes and such in place to deal with the two alternators feeding a single battery, or you can just go with TWO batteries and treat it like two totally separate entities ( that would be my move)

Thread Information