Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    +1

MSX 140 - Check engine light, EMM codes 53,47,49,82,41,42

Have 2003 msx 140, got ski it was locked up, turns out pto cyl/rod failure due to fuel pump reg falling off into tank,

replaced crank rotating assembly, pistons and jugs, got the ski running, and the check engine light is flashing.

built an led tool and downloaded the codes...53,47,49,82,41,42..none of these seems related to the failure, I am guessing these codes are from the aftermath of the failure ??

tried to clear the codes twice,[no hard codes] and they wont clear im thinking emm is messed up or possibly I am not doing the clear procedure correctly although im sure i was...

can anyone point me in the right direction, the ski starts and runs/drives great, i just dont like trying to break in the new motor with this #*!? light flashing in my face, it makes me nervous any info or help will be appriciated....

thaks kaotic1
    Last edited by K447; 09-13-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    codes...53,47,49,82,41,42
    41 and 42 are related to the engine temperature sensor. Remove and inspect the sensor on the exhaust pipe. Look for damaged, kinked or frayed wires. Sometimes the plastic exhaust pipe rubs on the sensor wires and causes damage. Polaris issued an update kit which installs a rubber bumper to keep the exhaust pipe from rubbing against the sensor and wires.

Make sure the correct plug is connected to the sensor. The same plug type is also used for the fuel injectors, so it is possible to get it swapped by mistake.

53 is a fuel injector not connected, which might be related to the temp sensor error if connected incorrectly.

47 and 49 are related to the air temperature sensor, which is located on the bottom of the flame arrestor. Check the top of the sensor for cuts from the plastic cover web. Ohm check the sensor, should be close to 1,000 ohms. Make sure the sensor is plugged in correctly.

82 is an open circuit on an ignition coil. Could just be an old code, but worth checking all the ignition primary coil connections and especially the coil grounds. One of those grounds bolts is also the EMM ground, if memory serves.

+1
    I may be wrong but if the #2 fuel injector wasnt plugged in properly,or the #3 ign. coil wasnt working it would only run on the mag #1 cyl, the ski runs good its just the light flashing, I ohm checked the air temp sensor 995 ohms and the exhaust temp sensor 1005 ohms seems to be within specs, does anyone have any ideas wtf is going on with this thing...Im back to thinking emm is messed up and giving bogus codes??

+1
    Does the machine run properly when in the water, with a load on the jet pump?

EMM codes can be triggered by a momentary event. The codes are stored even after the cause goes away. If an injector or ignition coil is unplugged while the engine was cranking or running, the code will be stored in the EMM.

+1
    Yes it runs good in the lake, only ran it up to 5700 rpms for just a few seconds to see if it would turn up, but it does run good. It stuttered a little right at the hit of the throttle but cleaned out and ran good for the test ride.

+1
    If the Check Engine light is flashing while riding, something is not right.

+1
    I totally believe you man, thats why I havent rode the ski more than that one time, I just dont understand these codes, they arent what caused the engine to fail, but must be something going on because they will not clear from the emm ive tried twice now????

+1
    Sometimes it can take a bunch of tries to get the codes to actually clear. It is a bit tricky to get the cadence just right and not mess up the sequence.

I made up a little toggle switch with alligator clips to connect to the wire harness pins, and I still sometimes fight with it. Other times, it works on the first try

You had the engine apart to do the repair (engine removed from the hull?) so lots of electrical connectors and wires got moved, jiggled, pushed aside, reconnected. It is possible something got damaged, yanked, twisted or just not put back properly.

Or it could just be coincidence and some other problem has cropped up while you were doing the mechanical repairs.

+1
    I will try clearing the codes a few more times and re-post my results asap

+1
    Tried clearing the codes 10 more times with alligator clips and toggle switch. Still wont clear.... just a thought, how does the emm remember codes if the battery is disconnected for an extended period of time? Can I touch the disconnected red + lead to ground for a minute and reset the emm??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information