2002 seadoo gtx 155 ecu/mpem problem?

I am stumped and was wondering if anyone can help. I have a 02 gtx 155 that will not communicate with the cluster. I have tested the cluster with another gtx and it and works fine. I have no blown fuses, and ski runs fine other then the dead cluster. I do receive the beep telling me no communication. I have metered the harness at the cluster and have 12 volts and ground. I have also ohm the two communication leads going to the mpem and they are OK.
    Does this mean bad mpem or ecu?

+1
    I have a similar problem but with my motec. Does your cluster self check? I'm not sure if that year does or not just asking cause mine does. Yes if you have ohmed and checked fuses can plug most likely you have a mpem or ecu problem I would lean more towards a Ecu as it is in direct relation with it. I'm fighting a similar issue but my cluster self test with my Motec's and ski runs but it will not communicate with my motec. All my wiring fine,can connector harness,bus connections,voltage, from cluster to wiring harness b. I do not have a extra cluster but it self checks. I'm wondering if anyone had a cluster that turns on but just don't communicate with the ecu I'm sure it's got to be possible.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarc View Post
    I am stumped and was wondering if anyone can help. I have a 02 gtx 155 that will not communicate with the cluster. I have tested the cluster with another gtx and it and works fine. I have no blown fuses, and ski runs fine other then the dead cluster. I do receive the beep telling me no communication. I have metered the harness at the cluster and have 12 volts and ground. I have also ohm the two communication leads going to the mpem and they are OK.
    Does this mean bad mpem or ecu?
    try your ecu in your friend's ski and then do the same with the mpem. Make sure to have your key as it goes to the ECU.

Be carefully swopping out ECU as the 664130 uses a Dess amp fitted under the steering column above the fuel tank
    you have to remove the amp if using a later ECU eg 664132 or 664133
    sounds like a bad connection somewhere
    below is the full ECU story

OK, I dug out the Service Bulletin.

The 2002 models used a 420 664 130 ECU, which required the use of a DESS Emulator box.
    In Early 2003, they switched to ECU model 420 664 131, which required the use of a DESS Amplifier box.

Both the DESS Emulator and DESS amplifier boxes are simply installed in-line with the DESS post circuit.

In late 2003, they switched to ECU model 420 664 132, which does not use either the amplifier or emulator box.

To use either an ECU model 420 664 132, or the current 420 664 133 ECU on a early ski, you MUST remove the emulator or amplifier! If you don't, it will blow the new ECU. Since the amplifier/emulators are in-line, you just unplug them and remove, plug the two remaining plugs back together.
    Jeff Waterstreet
    Candoopro Designer

Thread Information