Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

virage pump bearings

Hi everyone,

Before I start I just want to say that my virage has been a great ski, though it doesn't keep up with the yamaha its no where near as much of a head ache. This is the first time I've ever really had a problem with it.

So about a month ago my virage started making a whine noise coming from the pump. I found the fitting inside the ski to grease the through hull bearings. After greasing that the ski continued to whine. Finally while a friend was riding yesterday the ski (at idle speed) started to make a banging or rumbling noise and wouldn't move faster than 5mph.

I towed him to the shore and checked the pump tunnel, seemed clear and nothing was blocking it. I assume I need to replace my bearings. I'm not really sure how many bearings there are or which need to be replaced. Most of the kits I see have 2 bearings. Are these the pump bearings or the thru hull bearings.

I'm guessing it would be the thru hull bearing the needs to be changed because of the whining but I'd just like to be educated on this a bit more before I do anything.

Thanks
    CJ

+1
    Everything you need to know that is Polaris pump related can be found here:

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....water/jet-pump

Including the thru-hull rebuilding process and parts list !!!
    Last edited by K447; 09-15-2013 at 07:20 PM.

+1
    get a jet pump rebuild kit and a new thru hull bearing all new orings new drive line bumpers ur impeller resurfaced ,

also my 99 sltx is faster then my FIL's 04 waverunner fx ho

+1
    My impeller looks perfect, not a single ding or scuff. I did notice some space between my impeller and pump housing though.

I didn't mean to say there can't be a faster polaris. Just saying my virage 700 won't beat my gp1300r

Is there anyway to tell if I need a new thru hull bearing or a pump rebuild kit? Trying to save some money but if I need both I can do that too

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    Everything you need to know that is Polaris pump related can be found here:

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....water/jet-pump

Including the thru-hull rebuilding process and parts list !!!
    The parts for rebuilding both the jet pump internals and the through-hull should be well under $100.

It sounds like the impeller itself has been damaged by the bearing failure. Impeller blade clearance is normally very tight, so if the gap 'looks' too big it almost certainly is too big. The impeller can be refurbished to like new specs, or you can buy a replacement impeller (good used or new).

The best thing to do is to remove the jet pump and inspect things. See the URL link provided above for more details.

+1
    The bearings kit can be found on Ebay I would get a drive shaft carrier bearing also 18 pounds of torque for the four bolt fastners. The impeller 100 pounds of torque I use a little locktight on my impellers Just my preference though.

+1
    i found the pump bearing kit for $40 and the carrier bearing for $32 both by WSM. these are slightly cheaper than the other brands. is WSM a reputable company? I've never heard of it before. I don't mind paying more if the parts would last longer.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ's gpr View Post
    i found the pump bearing kit for $40 and the carrier bearing for $32 both by WSM. these are slightly cheaper than the other brands. is WSM a reputable company? I've never heard of it before. I don't mind paying more if the parts would last longer.
    I have heard of WSM but have not bought any of their parts.

+1
    I guess ill give them a try

+1
    got my parts today and took apart my pump,

my bearings literally fell out in a million pieces. I got a good look at my prop and it is banged up, chipped, and pieces of metal are frayed of of the blades. I guess since there was no bearing my shaft was jiggling around and my prop hitting the walls of the tunnel was the banging noise. the small shaft going from the prop towards the back of the ski also looks banged up. anyone know where I can buy one of these?

as for the prop, what are my options? how much would a OEM one cost, does solas or skat track make anything for the virage?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information