Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Triton Trailer issue

I have a 2007 Single trailer that I purchased last year. I noticed today that there is a larger gap between the tire and the fender on one side. After measuring the frame height from the ground from the frame behind the wheel, I noticed that one side is 1 inch higher than the other. I have been trying to figure out the problem and while doing this I took out the bolts from the leaf spring toward the rear of the trailer. I don't think these are the problem since I flipped them and nothing changed. Are these bolts supposed to be like this and could my leaf springs on the one side lost their shape? It is the only thing I can think of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	313657  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Does this trailer have a LOT of miles on it?

Are the tires the exact same size and brand?

What age are the tires? You can check the date code on the tire sidewall (one date code per tire, on one sidewall).

Does it look like the leaf spring on one side has been replaced or changed?

Is there any visible difference between the springs on each side? More or less leafs in one spring, or a broken leaf?

Post some clear photos of the problem, perhaps something will jump out at someone here.
    Last edited by K447; 09-15-2013 at 10:26 PM.

+1
    Does this trailer have a LOT of miles on it? Not sure I have had 2 years and took it to Tennessee.

Are the tires the exact same size and brand? - Carlisle 145/12 heavy duty tires. I assume they are the ones from the factory and are in good shape.

What age are the tires? You can check the date code on the tire sidewall (one date code per tire, on one sidewall). At work, need to look when I get home.

Does it look like the leaf spring on one side has been replaced or changed? Everything looks to be the same. My neighbour suggested I measure the leaf springs length in place to see if one is "stretched" more than the other. Seems to make sense to me.

Is there any visible difference between the springs on each side? More or less leafs in one spring, or a broken leaf? No differences, no broken leafs.

Post some clear photos of the problem, perhaps something will jump out at someone here. Won't be able to pull it out of the garage to get proper pictures until I take it to the lake on Saturday.

What do you think of the bolts?

+1
    The bolts 'look' worn, but I have not checked what the bolts on a new Triton leaf spring trailer look like.

If those bolts are simply worn flat from the leaf springs rubbing on them for many, many miles, then it is time to replace them.

I prefer the torsion axle Triton trailers, nicer ride and way less rattling from the suspension.

While you are at it, I seem to recall some sort of rubber or nylon roller that slips over the bolts to reduce the slop at the leaf spring end and reduce the noise and friction when the suspension is flexing. I don't recall where I saw them

+1
    Didn't get a chance to take any pictures, but from being under the trailer numerous times, both sides look identical. The tires are dated 2007, so I assume they are the original factory tires and since the tread looks like new, it leads me to believe this trailer has very low mileage.

I would still like confirmation if bolts are supposed to be worn down like that. I assume they are since it would take a lot of miles to turn them that way. When I put them back in, I did put them "face down" so the leaf springs were on the thread instead of the flat side to see if that made a difference. It did not.

All this leads me to believe one of the leaf springs has more give than the other. Not sure if it is worth changing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    ... The tires are dated 2007 ... the tread looks like new ...
    Time to replace those tires.

Six years is plenty old for trailer tires, especially if they have low miles. May seem like a paradox, but apparently true.

See my recent experience with 2006 dated tires, also on a Triton.

Last edited by K447; 09-25-2013 at 03:44 PM.

I have a 2007 Single trailer that I purchased last year. I noticed today that there is a larger gap between the tire and the fender on one side. After measuring the frame height from the ground from the frame behind the wheel, I noticed that one side is 1 inch higher than the other. I have been trying to figure out the problem and while doing this I took out the bolts from the leaf spring toward the rear of the trailer. I don't think these are the problem since I flipped them and nothing changed. Are these bolts supposed to be like this and could my leaf springs on the one side lost their shape? It is the only thing I can think of.
    The bolts are wiped out. They have far exceeded their life span.

+1
    Bringing this back up to the top. I just replaced the springs on my trailer, one of them was losing its shape. While I was replacing them, I checked on the new, heavy duty bolts that I installed last year after I found the other ones wearing through. Well, both of them are starting to wear through as well. I can't believe that no one else is seeing this on their trailers. I am in Canada, so after I replaced the bolts in August, I didn't put that many miles on the trailer.

BTW, I also ordered new tires just to be safe. The trailer will be taking a 2000km trip in a couple of weeks, so I plan to keep a close eye on the bolts.

+1
    ... I checked on the new, heavy duty bolts that I installed last year after I found the other ones wearing through. Well, both of them are starting to wear through as well. I can't believe that no one else is seeing this on their trailers. I am in Canada, so after I replaced the bolts in August, I didn't put that many miles on the trailer.

BTW, I also ordered new tires just to be safe. The trailer will be taking a 2000km trip in a couple of weeks, so I plan to keep a close eye on the bolts.
    What grade bolts are you using?

Galvanized steel, regular steel, stainless steel?

Perhaps you can engineer some roller sleeves in there to reduce the friction between the moving spring leaf and the bolt.

Post up some photos of the installed bolts and how the leaf spring is rubbing.

Replace the spare tire too, not just the road tires. Spare tires typically age faster than the road wheels, so the older spare tire rubber is often completely dried out and fragile by the time you might need to use it, even if the tread looks perfect. My own practice now is to replace the spare tire and the road tires at the same time, every five years or less.

+1
    I picked up the bolts last year from FAcca fastener. I took in the worn ones and asked for stronger replacements. Don't know the details. I had a look at the new Tritons at the dealer a couple of weeks ago and it is the same set up. The rear of the leaf slipper spring rests on these bolts instead of the frame. The rubbing wears them down. I will probably go get a spare set, hoping I have the original ones still around so I don't have to take the new ones out again.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information