Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ultra vs RXT - head to head

Nice mid 70's day here in Va and six hours on the Ultra. My neighbor with an 06 RXT with about 20 hours joined me on the water. We were the only ones out there, no wind and so extremely smooth conditions.

We both started out with tanks topped off and both of us weight about 205. From a standing start, the Ultra just jumps out in front of the RXT by a good three boats lengths and will maintain that lead for the better part of the mile we ran.

From a 50mph rolling start, it's dead even up to top end and then he starts to very slowly pull me (maybe 1/2 mph). At this point, my GPS was reading 64.8, he doesn't have one. About the forth run, I'm starting to pull him by a very slight margin because I think I'm burning gas at about twice the rate he is GPS at half a tank is reading 65.6 so I suspect he's been consistently at 65 and change regardless of fuel level.

I run all the way down to fuel warning and he is still showing 1/2 tank. At that level, the standing start is even more dramatic and he's never going to catch me (well, until I run out of gas in about 2 miles ).

Filled back up, installed the pump wedge and did it all over again. About the only noticeable difference is that I will very slowly pull away from him even at the 50mph rolling start. GPS reads 65.6 with a full tank so there is a definite benefit there but at 1/2 tank it's only reading about 65.9 so not much improvement once the hull startens to lighten on its own. Never ran it down to empty this time around.

Bottom line, I think in rough water, it will probably hook up and accelerate back to speed a little better than the RXT but it's really going to come down to rider ability. Forget this thing being an RXT killer much less a match for a properly ridden RXP in decent water.

There is another Ultra on the lake that has about 12 hours on it already and it seems to have gotten faster. He claims to regularly see 68 on the GPS without a pump wedge at 1/2 tank of gas. Don't really know the guy so don't know if it's BS or not. He did say wouldn't run much over 65 until he hit 9 or 10 hours and then seemed to loosen up so time will tell.

I'm glad I kept my 06 GPR for fuel economy (never thought I'd say that) and flat out top speed. The Ultra will be a fantastic tow boat and weekend warrior when the lake is rough. Frankly, probably wish I had waited another year for the aftermarket to address some issues and to hear real world reports. Kind of reminds me when Yamaha introduced the GP1200 in 98 and it never lived up to all the hype.

I do think fit and finish is very good (mine doesn't seem to have a paint issue), the motor is smooth and quiet, most comfortable ski to ride hard that Kawasaki has ever made for someone my size (6'2"). And, it has now forced my neighbor to take his ski to the dealer to have it upgraded with some performance parts so that the issue of who's fastest is settled firmly in his favor.

+1
    That is a great comparison. Thanks.

+1
    [QUOTE=tom4416;233694]

We both started out with tanks topped off and both of us weight about 205. From a standing start, the Ultra just jumps out in front of the RXT by a good three boats lengths and will maintain that lead for the better part of the mile we ran.

Remember, the Ultra has a 20 gal tank as opposed to your 15.9 so there's more weight on him.

nice report..

only think I will add is that it was "97" when Yamaha came out with the GP1200 which has been known to have hull issues.. mid 98 hulls were much improved.

+1
    In 97 The Gas Tank Mounts Would Come Loose And Beat A Hole In The Hull.

+1
    Tom try the Group K ride plate mod. You will be able to run on top with a full tank of fuel. Remember he has trim.

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    RXT with trim?

Where are you in VA? I was out with the Ultra today at Leesylvania. Maybe tomorow too.

+1
    I figured them to be close...

Now lets see what the mods bring- it seems to me the RXT starts getting a bit expensive to mod once you want to break that 70 barrier.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Not to mention the reliability factor also.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information