Bought a new to me 99 Genesis(carb) dies at certain rpms

Took ski out for first ride yesterday starts good, idles smooth, gets up to speed fast and runs very well. Reads about 50mph and 6400+ rpm. Problem is when I slow down and rpm gets close to 4000 rpm motor falls flat and stalls unless I feather the throttle to keep it running. Ski starts right up again no problem. Now from idle if I slowly increase rpm it does good until around 2700 rpm then I need to feather throttle until I get over 4000 rpm then ski runs fine again. Anyone else have this problem and what was the fix? Thx in advance

+1
    Sounds like you need to rebuild the carb..

Does it have fresh fuel and new spark plugs??

Has always run high octane and it is fresh and plugs look good. Ski has seen a lot of use in the last month. I have also put some Amsoil PI performance in the gas to hopefully clean up fuel system. The problem only occurs between 2700-4000 rpm other then that ski runs well.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by PetroMan View Post
    Has always run high octane and it is fresh and plugs look good. Ski has seen a lot of use in the last month. I have also put some Amsoil PI performance in the gas to hopefully clean up fuel system. The problem only occurs between 2700-4000 rpm other then that ski runs well.
    It could be an ignition problem, but I would suggest internally cleaning and rebuilding the carburetors anyways. Fuel system additives almost never actually solve problems, best I can tell.

Get three inline spark testers and hook them up to the engine. Ride with the seat off while observing the spark testers. Look for any change in the firing pattern.

Tip: If you leave it strapped to the trailer front and rear, you can back it down the launch ramp and then run it with the seat off while you observe. Even apply throttle as needed. Set the parking brake in the tow vehicle

Does this machine have the original gray Tempo fuel hoses?

I will go and pick up the spark testers. Yes it is running the grey fuel lines, just read your links K447 on the grey fuel lines. I will be changing them and doing the carbs. Where did you get your replacement fuel line and do I need to remove motor to replace all lines?
    Last edited by PetroMan; 09-17-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Thread Information