Waveblaster 2 not running below half tank of fuel.

Hello all,
    I am a newbie to the world of the PWC, and after recently purchasing a 96 Yamaha Waveblaster 2, I have encountered an irritating problem with her. It seems that when the level of fuel gets a bit below half a tank, she surges and cuts out. This happened two weeks ago, and me being new thought there may have been a problem with the fuel light and she may have run out, so after switching to the reserve tank and after a long time cranking, she fired and I came straight in, and put her on the trailer. On the way home I refilled and it only took 23 ltrs (5 gall) of fuel to fill. Then I thought OK fuel light is working fine, maybe this machine has a large reserve and didn't think anymore of it. This last weekend I went out a few times over both days, this time when the level got to just below again, it stopped and would not restart, no matter what. I eventually swam her back in and again, put it on the trailer, and tried starting her for a long time, checked plugs, etc but nothing. I then slowly opened the fuel filler and there was good pressure, I put my lips to the filler and blew hard, then tried starting it and she fired up instantly, and still continues to start. Has anyone ever had this problem before, or have any ideas as to where I would start to look? Otherwise it's down to the Yamaha Dealer, wallet in hand, pants around the ankles, bent over the bending bar they have installed there. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'd say to try and replace the fuel lines with brand new ones and new fuel filter to start with. This job is pretty straight forward and you should be able to do this with just a few hand tools. Just make sure you replace one line at a time as to not confuse yourself on where everything goes if you've never done this before. Run/test it again in the waters and see if it fixed your problem. If not then we can go in deeper into the diagnosis.

Thread Information