Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Fluid Film question..

Hello all,

So a local place started selling Fluid Film and after seeing all the great reviews here I decided to try a can. I want to keep the new Ultra engine the best looking I can, especially since I ride in salt. I have always used WD and CRC Marine Corrosion protectant on every boat/PWC I have ever owned and never had an issue. Lots of people say the WD will cause plastics to crack, but in the 15 years I've been messing with this stuff that situation has never occurred.

Regardless, I want to keep the ski as mint on possible and wanted to play it safe. I sprayed the FF the first time all over the engine. Besides the dead sheep smell I can see how this would be a good thing as it puts a nice coat onto everything. So fast forward a ride or 2 which always include a gentle engine rinse and noticed the FF was gone. That CRC stuff would last an entire season without losing it's coating. Am I doing something wrong here or am I the only idiot that FF doesn't work well for? Just curious as to everyone's thoughts, and if there are other products you guys use.. Thanks..

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    did you make sure none of it got on the belt?

3. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Two totally different things ff is meant to be used each time and won't leave a protective coating for long. Cfc will but discolors things

5. +1 by:

+1
    I kept it far away from the belt for sure.

Fire, that explains things well. I was under the impression it was a longer lasting product. Thank you for the replies.

+1
    ive heard that ff should last on about 5 rides give or take 1

8. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    I have tried them all. Wd40 in my opinion can't be beat. Cheap and displaces water... Also gives a good shine. Been using it on plastic and rubber as well for many many years. I think many of the people who say it ruins rubber and plastic is full of shit and needs to take the Tin foil hat off

Last thing is I can get a gallon of wd40 and hose entire engine bay down and pump after every ride for 30

10. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    I have tried them all. Wd40 in my opinion can't be beat. Cheap and displaces water... Also gives a good shine. Been using it on plastic and rubber as well for many many years. I think many of the people who say it ruins rubber and plastic is full of shit and needs to take the Tin foil hat off

Last thing is I can get a gallon of wd40 and hose entire engine bay down and pump after every ride for 30
    Each to their own but I found WD-40 caused swelling on on the rubber hoses to and from the oil reservoir tank on my last merc OB.I find lanolin based products are much more forgiving on rubber and plastic. Im assuming ff is similar to what we use here in Australia.

+1
    Okay, so I went to the oilfield hardware store and axed about Fluid Film. They said that they don't even carry it any more because their customers prefer the CRC 350 and 400 (400 being "thicker" than 350). But most of their customers aren't getting it for PWCs.

Any thoughts on the 350 and 400 and whether or not you would want a thicker film?

Banned User
    +1
    id think a thicker film would last longer

+1
    Wd 40

It's cheap.
    It works well.
    You can find it anywhere.
    Been using it since my 1985 kaw x 2 days...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information