Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Genesis motor mishap

I took the skis out yesterday afternoon for a little ride. About 1 hour into riding I noticed the motor didn't sound right. I shut her down and pulled the seat and looked for anything obvious. Nothing. I tried to start it and it sounded like it was struggling to turn over. So I towed it back to the trailer and on to the house.

I did a compression test on the motor.

Mag 100
    Cent 130
    PTO 130

I tried to pull the cylinder cover off the mag but it wouldn't budge. I ran out of time last night so I'll be messing with it again some time this week.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    When one gets down to the 90 to 100# range,it's normally a smoked piston, not holed but a scuff cyl wall or rings. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Good news is it's not a CDI....

+1
    I figured it was a hole in the piston. Comp check changed my mind. lol I'm guessing the rings are bad.

I have to figure out why that head won't come off. I pulled the four bolts, but it won't budge. Any tips/tricks?

I have to replace the jug though. One of the bolts broke the threaded part on the jug. Bolt came off just fine. Guess I'll be sourcing parts soon.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjdriver View Post
    ... I have to figure out why that head won't come off. I pulled the four bolts, but it won't budge. Any tips/tricks?

I have to replace the jug though. One of the bolts broke the threaded part on the jug. Bolt came off just fine. Guess I'll be sourcing parts soon.
    Put the bolts back in, but just a tad loose. Install the spark plug. Crank engine.

If that doesn't do it, starting the engine sure should!

Or just take the manifold bolts and cylinder base nuts off and lift the whole cylinder off the piston. Then fight with it on the workbench

+1
    I guess It won't do anymore damage to it trying to start it. lol

I'll fight it a little more. I guess the heads haven't been off in a while.

+1
    4 bolts sounds like the cover not the head.remove the 4 bolts again and try and tap the cover around

+1
    Your right, kinda. It's the cylinder head or cover. Whatever you prefer to call it. The cylinder or jug will need to be replaced.

And I did "tap" on it with a 3lb hand sledge. I actually smacked the crap out of it a few times and it didn't budge. I used a 2x4 between the sledge and head of course.

I'm gonna try K447s suggestion and see if it works.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjdriver View Post
    Your right, kinda. It's the cylinder head or cover. Whatever you prefer to call it. The cylinder or jug will need to be replaced.

And I did "tap" on it with a 3lb hand sledge. I actually smacked the crap out of it a few times and it didn't budge. I used a 2x4 between the sledge and head of course.

I'm gonna try K447s suggestion and see if it works.
    I prefer using a dead blow hammer rather than a metal head hammer

If you run it, the engine heat is part of what loosens things up. And of course the actual vibration from running it.

Or you can warm the head cover up with a carefully applied torch flame, or perhaps better, an electric heat gun. The paint on these things is quite tough and can take some heat.

+1
    unfortunately I don't have a dead blow. Hence why I used a 2x4 to soften the impact.

I found a couple of used piston, jug, cover etc on ebay from 175-275. There is also one for sale in the classified section of the forum.

Would I be better off getting a new piston etc?

+1
    The head cover and dome are off. I don't see anything that looks like any kind of damage inside the compression chamber. I didn't pull the jug off the motor, but I don't see anything in there that looks damaged.

On the dome where one of the bolts went thru was cracked. That is the bolt that was stuck and ended up stripping out. That's the only thing damaged that I found.

Should I go ahead and pull the jug or just replace the dome and seals and check compression again?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information