Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

Spark - My Review

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	16433 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	313717

I've probably got about 30 hours of seat time on the new 2014 Sea-Doo Sparks. I was involved in a commercial shot down in the Florida Keys, some video and photo work done in SC, and a video shot in central Florida. During those hours, I was able to ride in both smooth waters and a pretty strong ocean chop. Now obviously I'm biased and always pro Sea-Doo, but in all honesty this new ski is probably the most fun watercraft I've been on since I started riding back 2006.

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	1226 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	313718

Chop Handling - Does it stay hooked like an RXP-X 260? No. Does it bounce like a Yamalog? No. I was actually quite surprised by how well the ski rode in ocean chop Given its small size, I expected it to get tossed around and come unhooked much more than it did. I will be riding one of these to Bimini this spring, if that tells you anything.

Fuel Consumption - Absolutely phenomenal. We were out for 8 hours a day and only refuelling with about 3.5 gallons. You just can't be that. This is one of the best features of this craft. No costly SC to rebuild and no costly fuel bill to prevent you from going out both days during the weekend.

Hull Construction - The removable top is a bonus. Any idiot with an impact driver can remove that top deck in 3 minutes. This is a huge plus in my book. As far as the bottom, I've already mentioned this on another thread. During the Islamoroda commercial shoot, we were flying down a mangrove trail at WOT when one of the other riders misjudged a wake and slammed into a tree. For a second, I thought it was over. I thought for sure the ski was going to sink and the commercial was done for. Instead, the ski just bounced off to the side. We inspected it and saw only a tiny scratch, I was shocked. At that point I stopped questioning the hull. But in any case, it's also worth noting that they drop test these things from like 8-12 feet up. So I wouldn't worry about busting it on a wave, lol.

Speed - This one is tricky. Obviously I've spent plenty of time racing and riding the P-X. I love speed. But for some reason, even at 48mph, the Spark does not feel slow. The small size and sport mode seem to make you forget about top-end. You'll really have to test ride one to see what I mean. The only time you're really going to miss the speed is if you're doing a distance ride with a bunch of SCed skis.

Overall Ride - I cannot say enough just how fun this thing is to ride. You can spin it out and do donuts, but it doesn't feel like it's going to "bite" you. If you want to turn, it will turn. And after some practice, if you want to slide it sideways like a "hockey stop", you can do that as well. It's also light enough to "candlestick". Meaning, if you do a quick 180, and jump onto the back, you can ride this thing vertically with the bow sticking straight into the air. I feel like this ski gives the ability to do more tricks and have fun than anything else that's been available lately. I own two RXP-X 260's, and I love them, yet I can guarantee I'm going to want to have the Spark out with me all of the time next summer. Is this ski going to attract HydroDrag racers and speed freaks? Not initially, but I think some people have forgotten that there's more to watercraft than just driving in a straight line at 80mph. Sometimes it's fun to just carve up the water and get a little wet!

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Views:	762 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	313719Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 5.jpg 
Views:	2555 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	313720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	1396 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	313721

Will I buy one? There will be a yellow and a pink one in my garage very soon. I love racing, but I also love rec riding. And I simply cannot pass up the ability to have that much fun on the water with such low fuel consumption. If I'm going to be out island hopping or just hanging out with friends, I'll be taking the Sparks. If I'm CC racing or doing a long distance trek down the Florida coast, I'll take the P-X's. It's definitely a "2nd ski" for me. But at that price point, I'm expecting to see a lot more friends on the water soon. Get'em hooked and they'll be addicted for life. That's what the Spark is all about!

Sounds like you had an amazing 30 hours on it, looking forward to checking
    the Spark out when they become available here in oz

Thanks for sharing!... I think its awesome that seadoo introduced this PWC, I personally wouldn't buy one, but I'm sure there is a decent market for them.
    Its hard to beat price, fuel, fun etc... on that ski from what I've read and seen

+1
    Unfortunately where I ride this means more douchebags with no grasp of water safety or rider consideration. I expect to see more accidents. The machine looks fun as hell.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post
    Unfortunately where I ride this means more douchebags with no grasp of water safety or rider consideration. I expect to see more accidents. The machine looks fun as hell.
    We can't have it both ways though. Without new people, the industry would eventually die out. Just be glad the top speed is 48!

+1
    Thanks for the information. Can you tell us more about the seat comfort? The whole concept reminds me of the short lived Waveblaster 2 but with a bit more stability. It was a lot of fun to ride two up, but didn't get above 50 mph.

+1
    Kevin, great write & read; thanks for sharing. 30 hours is a lot of seat time and sometimes hard to do - kudos to you. Impressive info about the hull technology as well - reminds me of the older Volvo car commercials where the vehicle was dropped front-end first off of buildings to show crash durability.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    Thanks for the information. Can you tell us more about the seat comfort? The whole concept reminds me of the short lived Waveblaster 2 but with a bit more stability. It was a lot of fun to ride two up, but didn't get above 50 mph.
    I see in your sig that you own a GTR. I'm not going to lie, I don't think there's a seat out there that will be the comfort level of that GTR. My RXP-X doesn't even come close. That GTR seat is like a fresh sofa! The spark's seat is not nearly as padded as traditional 3-seater skis. Again, this is one of the areas where they were probably able to keep the cost down and keep the ski affordable. Was it uncomfortable? No, it's just not AS comfortable as a new 3-seater. My wife and I rode two-up on it for a full day and I had no complaints. It's definitely skinnier than the larger skis, but I sort of compare that to the RXP-X's ergo seat.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    Kevin, great write & read; thanks for sharing. 30 hours is a lot of seat time and sometimes hard to do - kudos to you. Impressive info about the hull technology as well - reminds me of the older Volvo car commercials where the vehicle was dropped front-end first off of buildings to show crash durability.
    It should come with a sticker that says "L.A. Model crash test certified"! That was the best crash test anyone could've done, lol!

+1
    Kev- that was the 90 hp model you tested right? not the 60? reason i ask is because i think i am gonna purchase my gf a pink one for christmas-
    thanks-
    jay

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information