97 GP1200 Died while running, now no start.

hello,

i recently purchased a yamaha gp1200, it has been hard to start since i bought it, i recently took it out and it was running great, 63 mph, and died on me in the water while wide open, was hard to turn back over, i let it cool off a few min and got it back runnning half power and bogged anywhere over 25-30 mph and 5-6 k rpm. can you help me fix it? What do you think it could be?

THanks.,

Jon

+1
    Most likely a piston seized up. Check the compression and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    wow. good thing i only have 1200 bucks in it. it cranked fine when i bought it. cranked fine at the dock. good oil mixer hooked up with oil tank full etc. why does the seizing happen? what can i do to prevent it from happening again?? Can i simply re ring the pistons with a good hone job if it isnt scarred beyond repair? What am i looking at for a 3rd party rebuid? Any east coast reccomendations on mechanics, I am in NC, I am a diesel mechanic and it seems pretty easy to tear down, any info appreciated
    jon

+1
    There is a post about same problem ou have rebuild and cost.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=206646

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by donzimama View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    wow. good thing i only have 1200 bucks in it. it cranked fine when i bought it. cranked fine at the dock. good oil mixer hooked up with oil tank full etc. why does the seizing happen? what can i do to prevent it from happening again?? Can i simply re ring the pistons with a good hone job if it isnt scarred beyond repair? What am i looking at for a 3rd party rebuid? Any east coast reccomendations on mechanics, I am in NC, I am a diesel mechanic and it seems pretty easy to tear down, any info appreciated
    jon
    Seizing happens on a 2 stroke due to a lean air/fuel mixture. Lean AF put a lot of heat into the piston and cause it to expand alot and stick in the cylinder bore. It frequently gets bad enough where it melts pistons and you'll end up with ZERO compression on a cylinder.
    There is virtually no such thing as a 3rd party PWC engine rebuild. There's only a few guys you can trust and they are busy or expensive. Since you are a diesel mechanic, I'd trust you to do the tear-down and rebuild yourself. Make a winter project out of it. OVERANALIZED every aspect of the the rebuild, use top quality parts, do you homework(research here), and ask question for reassurance that you are on the right track.
    Follow this and you'll be rewarded with a reliable, fun machine next summer.

+1
    Oh, and before you tear it down, do a pressure test. Don't confuse this with a compression test (do that also). A pressure test, tests the entire engine for air leak. the engine has to be air tight. for more info, read this sticky in the "How To" section. Here's the links you need:

Pressure Testing Two Stroke Engines

GP1200 65U pressure test
    pressure Testing a 65U SUV
    Pressure Testing

cutless covered it all

you most likely had a light seizer in one or more cylinders and will need a top end rebuild (new rings piston and rebuild cylinder) im sure when you tear it down you will be able to see which piston it was as both the cylinder wall and piston will be badly scratched

report back and definitly do a pressure test BEFORE you tear it down

its a bit of a pain sealing up the engine to do the test, especially if its left in the hull but worth it.

i didnt do this and paid for it dearly when i was reassembling my engine as i discovered leaks and had to RE-tear it down 4 times, PITA

good luck

Thread Information