electrical Black box problem

Team;
    As I stated in a prior note. I have two 2000 ploaris virage 1200s. One of them got water into the black box. I took the box out of the good ski and installed it into the one that sunk. the ski that sunk runs great. the ski that was good before i took out the good black box has issues. First. The LR505 needed replaced just to get the ski to turn over and spark. The ski would then start and run but only on two cylinders (FRONT and Rear) once the ski runs for 3 minutes it fails and will not start. I replaced the Ignition coil and all three prank plug wires- same results. I'm not sure where to look next. My gut tells me that the issue is still contained in the black box. I do not want togo down the stator road just yet because everything was running fine before I took out the working black box.
    This one puzzles me. Please Help.....Frustrated
    Dan

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Part numbers the same on both CDI?

Can you swap the LR module back from the working machine, as a test?

If still the same, swap the CDI back from the working machine.

First....Thank you for sticking with me on this. I'm not the best ski mechanic so the terms are not clear to me. The LR 505 module I understand. Im not clear of exactly what a the CDI is. I believe you are referring to the ignition coil or the entire black box,
    Dan

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmbr1sarge View Post
    First....Thank you for sticking with me on this. I'm not the best ski mechanic so the terms are not clear to me. The LR 505 module I understand. Im not clear of exactly what a the CDI is. I believe you are referring to the ignition coil or the entire black box,
    Dan
    The large black box with many wires and cables going inside is the electrical box. It can be opened, either with latches or a bunch of screws around the rim.

Tip: Disconnect the black battery negative cable before opening the electrical box. This reduces the risk of damage should you accidentally cause an electric short circuit. With the battery disconnected, there is no chance of sparks and inadvertent damage.

Inside the electrical box are several black electronic modules, each having a bunch of wires coming out one end.

The largest module in there is the CDI, the electronic ignition module. The other fairly large module, about the size of a small deck of cards, should be the LR module. These modules are screwed down to hold them in place.

I think on your model there is also a terminal board, where many of the wires are plugged onto flat metal spade terminals.

I misunderstood what you meant by black box. Now I realize that you had swapped the entire electrical box, intact, between machines. It is more typical when swapping electronics for testing to just remove the individual module of concern from one electrical box and install it into the other electrical box, not transfer the entire electrical box.

Open the electrical box. Look for signs of water or corrosion. The box is supposed to be completely dry inside, with zero corrosion. There should be a clear greasy film applied to the terminal board area. That is dielectric grease which helps prevent corrosion.

Thanks for the dart. The box I have has the latches and concerns me because it doesn't appear to seal completely. I have found a suggestion on line that speaks to a jumper wire fix for this machine. all courses of action are pointing to the CDI. Sounds expensive. Where can I find a trusted source to purchase one if needed.
    Thanks Again.
    Dan

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmbr1sarge View Post
    Thanks for the dart. The box I have has the latches and concerns me because it doesn't appear to seal completely. I have found a suggestion on line that speaks to a jumper wire fix for this machine. all courses of action are pointing to the CDI. Sounds expensive. Where can I find a trusted source to purchase one if needed.
    Thanks Again.
    Dan
    Dart?

Your 2000 model may/should already have the wire jumper, which is documented in Service Bulletin PWC-00-05. It addresses an issue with the engine not restarting after being run and then stopped. It would not cause only some cylinders to fire properly.

Easy enough to check whether your machines have the change. Follow the Red/Purple wire that comes out of the actual CDI module. If that Red/Purple CDI wire connects to the Orange terminal group, then the change has been applied.

There are some CDI currently for sale on Greenhulk in the Polaris Classifieds.

Any of the CDI part numbers for the 1200 carburetor engine should work in your machine.

Sorry; The word was "data", but my fat finger got into the way. Thanks for the help. I will start the search for a CDI box. Apparently the only one left of the three that were for sale has a cracked plastic cover. The sale would be final and these things are not cheep- may be a gamble. I found a new one for $550.00. Oh well. Ill crack the electrical box open to verify numbers and go from there. Thanks again.....
    Dan

+1
    Just to add a 1050 CDI will also work with a 1200 Motor as long as the 1050 is a Gen III CDI. ( new. updated)

Thread Information