Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SW Flooding

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

SW Flooding

All that rain dancing we've been doing here in New Mexico this year finally paid off..like winning the lottery..except you're getting paid in pennies

one of my neighbors reported an astounding 6.5 inches of rain overnight during the big part of the storm last week

We're getting hammered badly here, with the water from Colorado and points north expected here in the next couple of days.

The water is pouring into our lake so fast the BOR cannot post inflow updates for several days, but I expect we'll be seeing in excess of 2000cfs inflow. I'm predicting we'll be seeing an 8 foot rise in the lake over the next week as the runoff water meanders it way south

Of course, lots of debris is going to be part of the soup, so it's going to be tough going for some time.

It's far far worse in Colorado, so our prayers are with all of the affected families.

We did have an out of towner try to cross a flooded road, got washed down into a ravine, and then died as the car tumbled almost a mile in the raging floodwaters here. Couldn't tell it was a car when they finally pulled it out of the mud. That single death made the national news, while the flooding is washing quite a bit of Colorado downstream

The concrete drainage canal that boarders my shop to the south was running like white water rapids 2 or 3 feet from the top of the wall ( which is almost ten feet high) It seldom sees water of any significance, but historically, this is where the water drains to from the flatlands

The drainage pond at our walmart failed spraying large rocks and water onto the approach road.

I did get some free tv coverage, when the news set up across from my shop to film this drainage canal.

No skis floating in my yard luckily. Big mudflows across the road a half mile up from the shop ( another classic drainage path, but no concrete lined channel to contain that mess.)

If you live in the affected areas, take evacuation warning seriously. Some folks who opted not to evacuate in Colordao are now going to be on their own for a while as they said on the news this am that many of the roads to outlying isolated areas may not be rebuilt for up to a YEAR. Makes a grocery run something of a plan now.

Some folks who opted to stay put found out the hard way that these warnings are not made lightly.

While my home is on relatively high ground as far as the area goes, our go bags are ready and our guns are loaded. Paniced Wildlife fleeing the flooding has been spotted in town, including a rather large black bear that is still at large in the next town over from us.

No telling what will happen when the rest of the flood waters arrives here.

Never drive across a flooded roadway. It's simply a bad choice to make

The flooding came close to overflowing the drainage canal..here's a grab of the news video. This canal is ten feet deep. The flow of water is slowed by a diversion dam..luckily it held up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floods.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	313748

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Stay safe buddy, and you aren't kidding about debris, after hurricane Ike came through there was crap in the water immediately. There were boats, dumpsters, house debris that showed up on day one, the dangerous stuff came about a week after when people on the water had returned and started to "clean up" by tossing their yard waste, tree limbs , chopped logs, and branches into the water. Yall be careful up there because log beats fiberglass.

Sean

+1
    Man...be safe. This is what Phoenix looked like last week.

Name:	KNXV_Cave_Creek_Deer_Valley_20130909130025_640_480_zpscb6ae981.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	313753

Name:	9-9-13-2P-I-17-GREENWAY-2.jpg 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	313754

+1
    Funny you mentioned this - I'm on "Call Out"* duty this week as 5 of my friends are canyon hiking the Robber's Roost area of UT. Second canyon of Day 1 was cancelled as the access road to the entry point was under water. Likewise, today's all-dayer was changed for the same reason. As it turns out, there was a fatality (due to a flash flood) last week in one of the canyons on their "hit list".

*Call Out: If I don't hear from anyone in my party by "X" time on "X" day, I'm responsible for calling out the local sheriff's office as well as the local National Park Service ranger station for a possible rescue.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post

Heh, always get a kick out of the idiots that try to cross the washes during a rainstorm in the valley.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by @JC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post

Heh, always get a kick out of the idiots that try to cross the washes during a rainstorm in the valley.
    not to be rude or uncaring, but I always get a kick out of people falling thru ice that looked solid.

I can barley think of a worse way to die then that poor fellow who simply DID NOT KNOW BETTER and tried to drive across the flooded road and then his car was washed into the devils rollercoaster.

The horror experienced as the water was rusing in along with large stones and trees would make steven king shiver.

Until you see a full sized pickup truck get pushed off a road by a flood, you don't fully appreciate the seriousness of travel during these conditions.

here are a video off my phone that shows the water running down to the rio grande. Luckily the drainage canal held up or I could be looking for a couple of skis downriver today

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    I guess ya'll dont get much rain out that way very often.....the flood here in Tennessee in 2010 we had over 13+ inches of rain at the Nashville Airport with 19+ inches in some surrounding areas.....

+1
    at one time there was a regular monsoon season around here, or so they tell me. We have had zero to no rain at all during monsoon for 3 years running

Getting it all over a few days and having to cope with the Colorado runoff means trouble for those in lowlands ( of the high desert )

+1
    looks like the BOR is expecting massive amounts of water to arrive here in the next couple of days. While our lake was near an all time low last month now they have started releasing water at over 1000cfs to the secondary storage lake.(Caballo)

That lake was getting 6000CFS + during the first part of the storms.

I saw news reports last night of a diversion dam for the rio grande silvery minnow about 60 miles north of us that was flowing at over 10,000CFS ..that's a whole lot of water.

And the Colorado water is coming.....

Any idea if this flooding is affecting Page, AZ (their Antelope Canyon) and/or White Sand Dunes N.M. in southern NM??

Heading out to those places this afternoon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information