Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

2000 Virage bogs at any throttle.

Hello guys, Finally got my Ski out yesterday on the river. This is the single carb, 700 red motor. First time it has seen the water in 6 years. When the Previous owner put it away, he did all the maintance and all of that fun stuff to it to put it away for a while. this was a salt water baby until i got it and was flushed out after every use.

But now onto what happened yesterday. I hit the water, Ran great for 30 seconds. I Hit 41 mph. And then it cut out very bad and i had a lot of issues getting it back to the trailer. Ran great on the trailer out of water. The 10 seconds i would have it running. My question is. I went to adjust the carb. I found the low side needle, but the high side needle looked to be missing. Now i do have knowledge of small engines and tillison carbs. But now that has me puzzled. No gas coming out of it. i will snap a pic tonight when i get home and post it up. But i cant find an actual pic of the card with the needles in it from the factory. any ideas? No gas coming out of the high side like its missing. Now when i go to start it, i half to run half choke. and idle it up onto the trailer. I was on the ohio river when this happened. When we got it out of the water and 2 hours later i tried to start it, would spudder and then die. runs about 1200 rpms at idle.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks,

SunBurst,
    Michael.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The stock Keihin carburetors used by Polaris do not have a high speed needle adjustment.

Did you take that carburetor apart and clean it internally? Genuine OEM rebuild kit? Fuel pump (attached to the carb) also cleaned up?

Have the original gray Tempo fuel hoses been changed?

Check cylinder compression.

Correct spark plugs installed?

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    what k447 said.internal carb screen probably clogged

+1
    I still have the old tempo lines. they where all unhooked when put in storage for 6 years. But I read up on them and will swap them out.
    I took apart my carb today. It was disgusting on the inside. But I have it all cleaned out. Must have sucked a bunch out of the tank.
    And I have the ngk bpr8es from the local dealer last year I purchased them.

I did notice i am missing my thermostat and the bypass valve. Is this okay or should i purchase a new one?

When i did have it out, my parents and wife noticed, i did not have a " rooster tail " coming up. I read this may be an attachment or something. Or may be specific to seadoo's?
    Last edited by sunburst; 09-16-2013 at 09:58 PM.

+1
    I got the Carb back onto the ski today. Simple yet, complicated. Is there anyway to add a high speed needle? Or will i half to go with a different style carb? When i reinstalled it. Took a while to fire up. Once it did, would idle way up to 4k rpms then idle down and die. Do the same about 4 times until i pressed the gas a couple of times. then idled fine. Will need readjusting. Where should it idle at in the water. With a load on it. Not on the trailer.

Fuel Line,
    Sierra Marine - Marine Fuel Hose
    Part Number: 16-368-0146
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/
    NEW - Low permeation marine fuel hose has a plastic barrier veneer with an NBR outer layer tube to limit permeation. This polyester reinforced hose complies with EPA and CARB very low permeation requirements and is weather/UV resistant. This hose is primarily used for fuel feed (gasoline up to 85% ethanol blended fuels/diesel/all bio-diesel blends). It meets USCG Type A1 - 15 requirements for pleasure boats and meets SAE J1527 Type A1-15, ISO 7840 Type A1, and NMMA/CE type accepted standards. The temperature ranges from -20 degrees Fahrenheit to 212 degrees Fahrenheit.

Assuming this fuel line will be ideal for the ski? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by sunburst; 09-16-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: adding fuel line

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    around 1300 rpm in the water.

+1
    Got the fuel line swapped out today, it took about 15 feet of it. Throttle response is a lot better. Taking it out tomorrow to see what It will be doing. I will report back.

Side note. Got new lights on the trailer and tags finally.

+1
    yes the stuff remove from the cooling line is a good mod

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999-SLTX View Post
    yes the stuff remove from the cooling line is a good mod
    What stuff are you referring to?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    Got the fuel line swapped out today, it took about 15 feet of it. Throttle response is a lot better. Taking it out tomorrow to see what It will be doing. I will report back...
    Did you initially run the engine with the rebuilt carbs and the old fuel hoses?

If so, there is a possibility that gunk from inside the old hoses re-contaminated the carburetor(s).

This is why we typically recommend changing the fuel hoses at the same time the carburetors are rebuilt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information