Thread: Gp half power

Gp half power

Hey guys I'm having problems with 2004 gp 1300 it won't go past 40mph at5000 rpm in the water . Now I did a compression test came out 125 120 and little under 120 . I am noticing more oil smoke than usual. All wires are firing and put new plugs in it ., has anyone had this problem please help and point me in a direction thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
    Hey guys I'm having problems with 2004 gp 1300 it won't go past 40mph at5000 rpm in the water . Now I did a compression test came out 125 120 and little under 120 . I am noticing more oil smoke than usual. All wires are firing and put new plugs in it ., has anyone had this problem please help and point me in a direction thanks guys.

Maybe the Cat convertor. Check to see if a D plate has been installed in the stinger. You may be able to tell if a D plate has been installed if the temp sensor has been unplugged. The temp sensor comes off the stinger right above the area where #3 spark plug is located and plugs into the "drivers side" of the ski's cdi box. Cat con may be clogged not allowing ski to breath properly.

Thanks for responding chevyrocks3. Yes I did the d plate a few years ago

Thanks for responding chevyrocks3. Yes I did the d plate a few years ago
    Joey, when I had an issue, I disconnected 2 of 3 plug wires, moved them out of the way, and fired the ski up on one cylinder. I repeated the steps for the other 2 cylinders. I had one cylinder that would not idle and it would idle on one of the other 2 cylinders alone. It helped me pinpoint the problem cylinder. Some of the members on here state that doing that can cause the crank to get out of phase. I did not have an issue but perform at your own risk. It at least pointed me to the cylinder I had an issue with.

Joey, also check for a broken inner clamp on the coupler that connects the u pipe to the stinger. (the clamp under the rubber boot). I have had 2 different skis that have broken an inner clamp that allowed water to get to the exhaust gas side that created the same symptoms you are having.

Thanks Chevyrocks ill do that . Now the clamp you are talking about I was on partszilla and on exhaust diagram 1 are you talking about numbers 45 to 47 and can u learn me again of what's happening if it is broke having trouble understanding

Thanks Chevyrocks ill do that . Now the clamp you are talking about I was on partszilla and on exhaust diagram 1 are you talking about numbers 45 to 47 and can u learn me again of what's happening if it is broke having trouble understanding

Joey, It is part number 45 on partzilla. When you look at your engine, loosen the outer clamps (47) from the rubber boot that connects the u pipe to the stinger. Break the rubber seal from the metal and slide that boot forward so that you can see the inner boot coupling and clamps. Inspect the clamps that are under the outer boot to make sure that they are not broke and they are tight. The deal is, the inner boot (rubber coupler) has 2 clamps on it. The hot exhaust gases flow under the inner boot (coupler). The cooling water for the engine flows on the outside of the inner clamps / coupler. The outer rubber boot you can see keeps the cooling water from leaking into the hull. If one of the inner boot clamps fail i.e. break, the seal to the inner coupler boot will allow cooling water to migrate into the exhaust gases. When this happens, the ski will sputter and bog and not get up to speed. I think it is due to the water and possibly steam flash off causing the spark to be drowned out in the engine. This happened on my 2006 gp as well as my brothers 2004 gp. When I replaced the broken clamp on his, it displayed the same symptoms for the first 3-4 minutes of riding then it cleared up. My theory was water had migrated into the engine (some) and until I got it burnt off it was still sputtering / bogging. If you overtightened the clamp or vibration can cause a failure. This would be about 10 minutes worth of work to check it out (loosen the two outer clamps, slide the black boot forward, and the inner clamps will be exposed so that you can check them). His ski ran fine on the trailer and it was only under load the symptoms showed up. Let me know if this helps in the explanation.

Ok this is what I did I did the cylinder check cylinder 1 ran a little rough middle cylinder ran good back cylinder would run and quit back cylinder was the worst one what u think

Thread Information