Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXP Gelcoat Fiberclass repair advice please!

Hey everyone, so this past weekend my sister took our skis out and bumped into one of our skis and did some damage to the ski and now I'm not too sure what steps to take next.

Here are some pictures

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SeaDoo 2006 RXP 091513 028.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	313776Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SeaDoo 2006 RXP 091513 030.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	313777Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SeaDoo 2006 RXP 091513 031.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	313778Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SeaDoo RXP 091513 pics 029.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	313779Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SeaDoo RXP 091513 pics 030.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	313780

I've read a couple of forums on gel coating but not exactly sure what to do.

Would this everclear fiberclass patch kit work well and is it an easy process. If not what other products would you recommend. The reason why I would get this kit is because I could have the kit here by weds/thurs with Amazon Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The damage is about 5 inches long and 2 inches high. Please help

Well, I would say that beginner+EvercoatPatchKit= shitty results. That looks like you might have some impact damage to the fiberglass that needs to be stabilized for good results. I have done lots of this type of repair and have done auto body work for 30 years, so I would consider it an easy fix, but it seems like everytime I try to help a beginner do get coat, it seems they screw it up.

In general, you will need to grind and feather back all the gel. You've got some pieces left there that are not solid, they need to go. Once ground, you need to check integrity of the underlying fiberglass. Take a sharp tool and push on the damaged area to feel for any give, if you have minor surface give, then just working in some resin can stabilize it, but if it have deeper give, you will need to grind deeper and get down to solid fiber, and build it back up with sheets and resin.

Once you have a solid foundation, then you can build up the gel. That kit from Amazon will be useless, you will need a lot of gel, plus some Cabosil, plus some wax additive. Mix up a paste of gel and cabosil to build it up close. I personally would spray the last couple layers, then wetsand to blend it.

I have always bought my gel from Gelcote Intl, who made the gel for Sea Doo, but they are out of business. Who knows if they will reopen....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Well, I would say that beginner+EvercoatPatchKit= shitty results. That looks like you might have some impact damage to the fiberglass that needs to be stabilized for good results. I have done lots of this type of repair and have done auto body work for 30 years, so I would consider it an easy fix, but it seems like everytime I try to help a beginner do get coat, it seems they screw it up.

In general, you will need to grind and feather back all the gel. You've got some pieces left there that are not solid, they need to go. Once ground, you need to check integrity of the underlying fiberglass. Take a sharp tool and push on the damaged area to feel for any give, if you have minor surface give, then just working in some resin can stabilize it, but if it have deeper give, you will need to grind deeper and get down to solid fiber, and build it back up with sheets and resin.

Once you have a solid foundation, then you can build up the gel. That kit from Amazon will be useless, you will need a lot of gel, plus some Cabosil, plus some wax additive. Mix up a paste of gel and cabosil to build it up close. I personally would spray the last couple layers, then wetsand to blend it.

I have always bought my gel from Gelcote Intl, who made the gel for Sea Doo, but they are out of business. Who knows if they will reopen....
    Just an FYI, and I just found this out today.... Gelcote Intl IS not the gel coat supplier for BRP production units. They will NOT tell us who they use! We have a ski at the shop we cant fix because we cant get gel coat to match.... BRP said it might be JUNE of next year before they find a supplier????!!!!

Yeah, but to clarify, this ski is a 2006 RXP and GelCote WAS the supplier back then. They obviously are not the current supplier, because they are presently out of business, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post

Hmm yea.. I had a chance to look at it when I got home right now some of the fiberglass appears to have come off/is hanging ready to come off as I can probably peel it off. I was looking at Gelcote too but since they're out of business and whatnot I'm not too sure what to do. What exact supplies would I need to buy and from where if I were to try and do this by myself. Is it ok to take out on the water before fixing this? Lastly, I'm in the Los Angeles area, if I had someone do it professionally does anyone know of any good marine body shops in the area and what a guestimate price might be to repair this? thanks

So I've been emailing some shops and 2 got back to me 1 quoting $900 the other $1000, that sounds way too expensive for the amount of work in my opinion am I right? Any advice on what a ballpark cost should be around or how we could do it ourselves =(

+1
    Not bad considering it is below the water line. if the hull isn't dried out properly the repair wont stick and then you will delaminate the whole bottom of the hull...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Not bad considering it is below the water line. if the hull isn't dried out properly the repair wont stick and then you will delaminate the whole bottom of the hull...
    I see, I guess that makes sense. Would it be very detrimental if I took it out on the water 1 more time before getting it repaired? Was planning to go this friday for a few weeks now before I found out my what my sister had done to it this past weekend..

+1
    If it doesn't leak then ride it.
    Just keep an eye on it just incase it starts getting worse then stop riding..

If your planning on taking it in to get fixed then don't ride it.
    It needs to be DRY , VERY DRY, for the fix to work properly.

Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    If it doesn't leak then ride it.
    Just keep an eye on it just incase it starts getting worse then stop riding..

If your planning on taking it in to get fixed then don't ride it.
    It needs to be DRY , VERY DRY, for the fix to work properly.
    Thank you for the help, I plan on taking it in but it is just a matter of when, the earliest would be some time next week if I did take it in, I've been trying to get quotes from different places. And I'm trying to figure out how to go through insurance so we only have to pay the deductible. How many days would you say I would need to let it dry for? I'm in So Cal so we always get sun over here and weathers been in the 80s as of late.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information