'98 GP1200 Won't Start

Was out riding the ski today, everything was running fine. Took a break, about 15 minutes, got back on and it wouldn't start. Starter doesn't turn, just some clicks from the electrical box or around where the box is. That's it. Drive shaft turns by hand, nothing else seems to be wrong. Anyone got any ideas what my problem is?

+1
    Exactly what happened to my suv on our first outing after break in. It turned out to be mystarter. Check ur wires going to the starter. Make sure they are tight. And check for voltage.
    Last edited by Echo; 09-21-2013 at 12:02 AM.

3. +1 by:

Okay, update: I replaced the starter, then replaced the starter relay solenoid. Still won't start. Jumped the starter to make sure it wasn't bad, and it works fine. Still getting a clicking sound from my electrical box when I try to start the ski. One click when I press the button, another when I release. Does anyone have an idea on what could be the issue and how to fix it? If not, I'm just going to sell it and let someone else deal with it.

+1
    Battery have a good charge? My battery just started to decline and I get that same click if it doesn't have a full charge.

+1
    The clicking is most likely your solenoid. Make sure you got power going to it (one of the big post in the middle of it) if so then jump the two big post with a screwdriver. If u had power at the solenoid and it doesn't start when jumping it then it is a bad connection at the starter. If you used a after market starter make sure the mating surface where the ground goes was not painted over.

If however you had power at the solenoid and it did start when jumping the solenoid, then it is the solenoid. Getting a bad "new" solenoid is common in after market cheaper parts.

+1
    I just reread this post.Stupid answer but did you check the fuse in the electrical box.I own a gp 1200 and had the same thing happen to me when i was out in the ocean. Luckly I always keep a spare fuse on hand.Just a thought.

Starter cylonoid

+1
    Check the battery. That's what it sounds like

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostsoul View Post
    Starter cylonoid

He replaced that, scroll up a couple replies. I am assuming he gave up since we have not heard from him In A week. I agree with cg check voltage at battery while trying to start. And revert back to last reply assuming you are still working on this.

Thread Information