Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bow Roller Scuffing

I haul my jet skis long distances and noticed the bow roller is scuffing away my gelcoat. It's eating away at the gelcoat. The trailer is adjusted properly and is a new 2013 Shorelander tralier. Does anyone else have this issue?
    What can be done to prevent this? I see there is a product out there for boats http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...fhu=3733333937

+1
    Hi, can you post a picture of your setup and of the damage?

Quote Originally Posted by lt1pwr View Post
    Hi, can you post a picture of your setup and of the damage?
    I don't have access to my trailer at the moment but it is the exact 2 ski trailer pictured in this brochure. Mine are set up exactly like in the pic if the guy pushing the one off the trailer. Its the bow roller that the winch snuggs the bow up to. going over rough roads, there is some slight movement where the roller contacts the bow. I have it winched up tightly against the roller. The roller does not move or turn. It is just slight movment, vibrations coupled with dirt/grime that make scuff marks where contact is made. They are not superficial scuffs either, the gel coat is rubbing away at the contact points on both skis. Searching for a solution to this. Perhaps double stick some black plastic to those areas? I would think others would have this issue. It really shows up on my black hulls. White hulls may not show it as much.

http://www.midwestindustries.com/doc...chures/pwc.pdf

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I don't have a Shoreland'r, but I suspect this is going to come down to specifics on your trailer.

The exact height of the bow roller relative to the rub rail.
    How the winch strap is routed.
    How solidly the rear of the watercraft is strapped down.
    How the bunks are set up to support the hull.
    How far forward the hull is on the bunks.

Do you have a safety strap on the bow eye? Is it also tight?

Photos of the roller abrasion damage, the winch area, the bunks under the hull, the overall hull position on the trailer, and the hull overhang at the rear. These would be useful to see.

Banned User
    +1
    Never had that problem. Simple solution; get a small hand towel and place it between the bow stop roller and the boat, just before you winch it tight.
    When you're home, loosed the strap, remove the tower, rinse, and repeat. That way, the towel(micro-fiber works best), will be the only thing in contact with the bow roller, it will be clean, and shouldn't rub off any paint or damage the gel coat.
    Red Neck Solution

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGViper View Post

I don't have access to my trailer at the moment but it is the exact 2 ski trailer pictured in this brochure.
    That's the exact trailer I have. In fact I have both the single trailer and the double trailer pictured. I haven't experienced the problem you're describing on either trailer. I'm assuming you're using rear tie down straps and they are nice and snug. What jet skis are you hauling on this trailer? I can take some pics of my set up if you want to compare it to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by lt1pwr View Post

I don't have access to my trailer at the moment but it is the exact 2 ski trailer pictured in this brochure.
    That's the exact trailer I have. In fact I have both the single trailer and the double trailer pictured. I haven't experienced the problem you're describing on either trailer. I'm assuming you're using rear tie down straps and they are nice and snug. What jet skis are you hauling on this trailer? I can take some pics of my set up if you want to compare it to yours.
    I am hauling 2 Kawasaki Ultra 300X skis which are pretty big and heavy, about 1000 lbs each. I first noticed this scuffing of the gel coat after a long road trip 700 miles. The road was particularly bumpy in sections too. The back is always racheted down, 2 ratchet straps per ski so no movement there. I know for a fact that the skis were cranked up good and tight against the bow rollers too. It happened to both skis. Have you hauled your skis for long distances on roads that are not smooth at highway speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    Never had that problem. Simple solution; get a small hand towel and place it between the bow stop roller and the boat, just before you winch it tight.
    When you're home, loosed the strap, remove the tower, rinse, and repeat. That way, the towel(micro-fiber works best), will be the only thing in contact with the bow roller, it will be clean, and shouldn't rub off any paint or damage the gel coat.
    Red Neck Solution
    Problem is I can't budge these skis to slide them back when they are out of the water. They weigh about 1k lbs each. Kawasaki Ultra 300x skis. I just tried moving one and it wont budge LOL. I aint no weakling either.

+1
    Have you hauled your skis for long distances on roads that are not smooth at highway speeds?
    Yeah I've taken them several times from Atlanta down to Orlando (8 hour trip) and haven't had any issues. Of course that's all highway driving and no bumpy roads. I wonder if the angle you have set up on the winch assembly is at a weird angle that would allow the jet skis to move like you described?

Here's some pics I took of my set up with my phone. The one hull that has a bunch of scuffs around the bow eye is a 2005 RXT and the other with near no scuffs is a 2013 RXT-X.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130918_195403_269.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	314105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130918_195428_415.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	314106
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130918_195504_983.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	314107Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130918_195534_319.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	314104

Banned User
    +1
    What are you clipping the Caraibeaner too?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information