Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1999 XL1200 Limited cranks over no spark - stop switch testing....

Had my ski out on Sunday and after riding for an hour - came into the beach and it shut down. Tried to get it going again but it would only crank. All of the electronics on the dash are operational and normal. The ski has a new battery and is kept on a charger, D Plate, chip and new oil lines installed (3 months ago). Outside of that - everything is stock. I have the service manual.

Question. According to the service manual - I should be seeing continuity across the connector coming out of the starter assembly (black and white wires) on the handle bar. I do struggle with the electronics side of things but if I understand how my electronic multimeter works - I should see a reading of zero across the two points of that connector.

No matter what I do - stop switch depressed, not depressed, lanyard in - lanyard out - all combos - I get NO continuity or a reading of 1.

Someone posted on one of the blogs all you have to do is disconnect the connector and the ski should have spark and start if this is the problem. The service manual makes no reference of this procedure and when I performed it - I get no spark on any plug. Not sure if this "disconnect procedure" is a valid test?

So are the multi meter readings I am getting consistent with a bad starter assembly i.e. stop switch? Should I test anything else or have I found my problem?

Thanks!

JB

Rookiepwc
    I had the same problem with my 1999 xl 1200 ltd. Do you have the service manual? If you need it pm me.

This is what I did with the help of a friend.

I first tested the electronics in the electrical box and visually inspected them for any damage. I then took of the front of the exhaust and inspected the stator. This might of not been needed. I tested the plug coming of the stator for resistance not continuity. The service manual says what the reading should be. Everything passed so I ordered a used cdi off of ebay. Installed it and the spark is back.

Could be your cdi.. My ski was running and then when I went to restart it the spark was gone but it would turn over just fine.

So you never checked the starter/stop assembly on the handle bar? It appears that no matter what you do on the stop button - I have an open circuit. I think tonight I am going to try to jumper the connector and close the circuit and see if I then get spark.....

Thanks,

JB

Rookiepwc
    I never checked the start stop switch. Luckily it wasn't that. I figured since it was cranking it couldn't be the switch. But I could be wrong. As my name says I am a rookie.

I tested the coils but also figured it would be odd to lose spark to all 3 cylinders at the same time. And there is a coil for each cylinder.

Good Luck.. let me know what you find

+1
    Can't remember how I tested the switch on mine. I followed the test in the manual and came down to a bad cdi.

Okay - last night I tried the suggestion from a technical blog to jumper the black/white wires at the connector that come out of the stop switch. All it did was kill everything - no crank - no electronic display.

Lastest update. On the 18th - I ordered a new switch assembly. Now here is the strange thing. I took the switch assembly out of the ski last night and just for kicks decided to check continuity again. As a side note - the outer protective cable appears to be twisted (where it goes through the ski) and was full of water. I shook the water out of the assembly and tested it again and guess what - I got continuity where I should be seeing it per the manual. I am like what gives? So I put it back in the machine - try to get spark and still nadda. I am going to test the primary and secondary ignition coils this weekend. As I understand it - if they are okay - it is a CDI failure. Still looking for advice/short cut or sure tests for the CDI.

Thanks,

JB

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    cdi failures are always painful, but with a solid battery in place I'd be inclined to look elsewhere ....cdi's fail when skis get jumped, cells are allowed to run low or the cables are loose.

the point of my attention would be twofold...
    1-the trigger coil is my number one suspect here
    2-direct examination of the electrical vault for water or perhaps a loose connection

easy to ohm out the trigger coil..not as easy to replace it.

if the trigger coil is ok, and the electrical box looks good get me the number printed on the CDI I'll see what I can do about hooking you up with a known good used one.

Electrical Testing XL1200 Limited

First of all Peter - thank you for your help Peter!

Next - I have run the following today:

1) I inserted my multimeter lead into the smaller wire at the connector (the other side to ground) where it goes into the back of each ignition coil. This is per the service manual to test the CDI. I get no reading at any of the connectors.

2) I ohmed out each ignition coil both at the primary and the secondary sides. All three coils read the same - both on the primary and secondary side.

3) I measured - maybe not properly - the lighting coil. I get around 12 volts and the manual says I should get 7V cranking under a load. I am doing my testing at no load.

4) The electrical box upon ispection is clean, dry, and all connections are tight.

5) I am not sure if I understand "trigger coil" - I think you mean the "Pick up coil" correct. I will try to test that one but I am not totally clear from the manual how that is performed.

6) The number on my CDI unit is as follows:
    66V-00
    F8T36171

Thanks

JB

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    cdi failures are always painful, but with a solid battery in place I'd be inclined to look elsewhere ....cdi's fail when skis get jumped, cells are allowed to run low or the cables are loose.

the point of my attention would be twofold...
    1-the trigger coil is my number one suspect here
    2-direct examination of the electrical vault for water or perhaps a loose connection

easy to ohm out the trigger coil..not as easy to replace it.

if the trigger coil is ok, and the electrical box looks good get me the number printed on the CDI I'll see what I can do about hooking you up with a known good used one.

Peter,

Got an ohm reading of .523 (2k Scale) for the trigger coil or pick up coil. I am not sure if that is in spec or not?

On the lighting I can only get a reading of zero or continuity. Not sure if that is good or bad.

Hope that helps narrow down what could be wrong.

Thanks,

JB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information